Walking Staff

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
i love blackthorn a bit heavier than most but for durabiltiy solid as a rock in fact ive just put a rams horn on the top of my old blackthorn and re oiled it come up like new..

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I've an apple one at the moment but it's a little on the heavy side. I've a hazel staff drying at the moment and am on the lookout for a suitable blackthorn.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
My old man makes em out of hazel or cherry and puts a sort of brass or copper ring of some sort on the bottom with a hammer. I have a suspicion it may be some sort of plumbing component? There not staffs as such but nearish to it - he usually gets one with a big growth knot on the end so he can round it off into an egg shape - hence the name he gives them - his 'egg sticks'.

Other than that you'l sometimes find what i beleive to be called a 'sugar barley' stick, where a vine has wrapped around the stick - that gives a nice rustic appeal.

laurens ch

Forager
Jun 23, 2005
south wales united kingdom
I like hazel, mainly because its easy to find a straight piece. Ive also used box although its a bit heavy. I vaguely remember my father straightening some hawthorn sticks in the bath using weights I’ll have to ask him about it.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
I use a cane rubber tip on the bottom of my oak staff, helps a lot in water crossing, or on rocky passes. A small liquid filled compass inset in the handle top give me an ever present direction.

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
Simon1 said:
... I am looking to make a walking staff but was wondering what is the best wood and some prep advise would be handy ...

Sticks are very personal things; you need one you’re going to be comfortable with. I’m still using the stave I had in the scouts; 1.7m (5ft 6ins) of ash. In my day as a scout you weren’t allowed to modify a stave. Since I left I’ve added a rubber foot, a cup hook at the top end and the obligatory loop of rope to hang it up or make sure you don’t lose it over rough terrain. I used rope strong enough to fish someone out of water if necessary.

Best of luck finding what is right for you. :)

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have a small one with a big growth knot (i think thats what there called) on the end rounded off, i bought for a fiver at a show i went two
leon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE