Walking for weight loss

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have started running again after 1 of the 2 stones I lost 2 years ago have reappeared, I am also going to start walking and riding a lot more, so much easier now the wife is on maternity leave. I am walking the river gipping on Wednesday from Needham market to Ipswich, its around 11m

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Excellent stuff guys - keep up the good work! I've ditched the scales and am going off my belt buckle as I'm running/swimming/working out and walking lots in preparation for a 10k obstacle race in July.

Eat less, move more!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
For those stuck in towns, the Android game 'Ingress' can be good to get you walking. You have to move around (in the real world) to 'capture' things. The game keeps track of how far you've walked (or cycled).
My wife was surprised to see that she'd walked 23km in 2.5 days of playing the game. She's been a bit sedentary, caring for a sick child.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Just downloaded Mapmywalk. Looks good. Are you just using it to monitor activity Re8 or will you monitor calories in vs out too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
I just use it as a record of time/distance etc.
I have never bothered with calorie counting, its not my thing.

I have cut down my portion sizes by half, and am staying away from fizzy drinks, chocolates etc.
Its always worked for me before.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Well done mate!

I think you're spot on with the calorie thing and I know loads of people who eat nothing for a day then have a Mars bar and crisps and wonder why there not losing weight- so yours sounds like a great plan!

I'm not sure if it'd interest you at all, but football is good for getting fit, I've not personally had to loose any weight but football has definitely increased my muscle tone in my legs especially.

Good luck! :)

Last edited:

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
....I've ditched the scales and am going off my belt buckle...
Thats always been my way too, what a great way of putting it though! So many lasses get caught up on what the scales say and get disheartened... one lass I know has started doing arial silks alongside fat club and is completely dejected she isn't loosing weight, I tell her she's gaining muscle and tone but the magic figure shes after is the one on the dial, not the one she's wearing! How mad :D

May I ask if you share your maps on facebook rebeldawg? I'd love to follow your progress :)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I just use it as a record of time/distance etc.
I have never bothered with calorie counting, its not my thing.

It's also a good motivator for keeping reasonably well to a schedule :D

I wouldn't put too much faith in calorie counting with apps anyway ~ it's a one size fits no one approach ;) .

BUT ... the 'My Nutrition' section might be worth looking into if you want to see how your food type percentages stack up ~ Disclaimer: take it all with a pinch of salt, I'm fairly sure that many of the nutrient and calorie breakdowns on mapmywhatever are either plucked from Hopesville or input quite inaccurately ;) (often there are many choices for the same item, just find the closest :) )

I need to keep an eye on fats intake and this part of the app really can help with that ~ so if nothing else the nutrition checker* _might_ highlight that an increase here or there might help with your aims ;)

* It's just a basic break down ~ Carbs, protein, fats, fibre and sodium (but yes, it's based on a basal rate calculated on very basic information you input ~ and as I keep coming in very under budget I'm sure mine is way over my needs ;) )

I have cut down my portion sizes by half ...

Stupid question time ... Have you switched to a smaller plate? If you haven't already done so try switching from a dinner plate to an 8" sandwich plate. In that way you still have what looks like a full plate :D .

Also, try having a small snack (an apple / handful of fruit etc) 10 - 15 minutes before you eat ;) .

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....Stupid question time ... Have you switched to a smaller plate? If you haven't already done so try switching from a dinner plate to an 8" sandwich plate. In that way you still have what looks like a full plate :D........

This definitely works!

Try and cut down on the calorie intake, you will probably find you are eating far too much extra....I lost 4 stone just by leaving out snacks and extras. Also smaller dinner portions, don't deny yourself the goodies just cut back severely otherwise you will start craving...which can be costly (weight wise )

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Try and cut down on the calorie intake, you will probably find you are eating far too much extra....I lost 4 stone just by leaving out snacks and extras. Also smaller dinner portions, don't deny yourself the goodies just cut back severely otherwise you will start craving...which can be costly (weight wise )

Sensible advice. I did the same in 2012 - took 2 years to go from 16st to 12st 38-40" waist to 32". The weight is still off.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

What surprises most people is how many calories they drink without thinking about it. Soft drinks, milk and/or sugar in your tea or coffee (not to mention all the added creamers and flavorings in the specialty coffees) then add the alcoholic drinks. It all adds up pretty quickly.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
For those stuck in towns, the Android game 'Ingress' can be good to get you walking. You have to move around (in the real world) to 'capture' things. The game keeps track of how far you've walked (or cycled).
My wife was surprised to see that she'd walked 23km in 2.5 days of playing the game. She's been a bit sedentary, caring for a sick child.

This is very much a brilliant idea.

Having read your post, I got the app and got straight out to have a walk. 15km in two days.

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
To help those of who may like to know I have used the following to work out the calorie needs of my own body.

Step 1

Your weight in pounds x 11 = Your basic Calorie needs
e.g.

I am 12 stone so 12 x 14 = 168 pounds
168 x 11 = 1848 calories

Step 2

Your basic Calorie needs x Caloric cost of your activity level (% table below) = Your metabolic rate

Table

Activity Level Age
<30 30-40 >40
Mostly Sedentary 30% 25% 20%
Moderately Active 40% 35% 30%
Dedicated Exerciser 50% 45% 40%

e.g.

As I am between 30 and 40 and moderately active

1848 x 35% = 647 calories

Step 3

Your basic Calorie needs + Your metabolic rate = Your maintenance level

e.g.

1848 + 647 = 2495 calories per day to maintain my current weight

So you would drop calories to lose weight and add more to gain

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Aargh! Just lost a long post in support of Rebeldog and against the waffle about calories. Suffice to say I lost 26kg in 2 weeks and kept it off. Was as heavy as you but with a fast metabolism and an eagerness, nay obsessive tendency to get in too deep into the exercise culture. Switched up to 5 evenings a week at the gym doing steppers up 250 steps quickly and 2500m rower on highest resistance as quickly as poss. I switched from 20/80 split CV to weights to the opposite. It worked but not least because of my Sunday walks of 8-15 miles.

Later on I took up challenge walking/ 25 miles as quickly as possible. Even did 40 & 50 milers. Could do 40 miles in less than 9 hours in the end. That's walking not running!!!

Walking really helped fitness and health. My gym instructor, who was doing a sports science degree, said using a treadmill with a random incline function walking actually does more for your health than a run of the n same distance. Plus it's less stress and damage to your joints. As a keen walker who's had knee problems that's a good reason to walk IMHO.

Keep posting updates Rebeldog. It's a good encouragement for others.

All Wafflers going on about calories jog on to your I own post!!!

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Good luck, after I got my dog and with all the walking I have been doing because of it, I've lost 5lbs :) Keep going, through the puff and the pain, you will be fine and look back in a years time and see how far you have come. Well done for starting, it's the hardest part :)

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Sure if he does 40 miles a day he can eat and drink whatever he wants.

Brilliant Paul you just solved world obesity.

*slow clap*

Last edited:

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I have been using Map My Walk App since introduced to it on this thread. It certainly has motivated me to go have a walk a couple of times this month which is brilliant. Not this morning however. I'm knackered. Glad to be at work for a rest.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE