Walkie talkies?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
Sorry if it's been covered- but looking for a pair, and for some suggestions if possible.

I have a baofeng uv-5r, and have no idea what I'm doing with it, have watched so many YouTube videos and it's something I simply can't get my head around it. I did want to do a course for it, but there's only so many hours in the day and I'm struggling to find time to get on top of it

So want to pick up a set of the normal ones, if I'm at height, other end of the field or when off road to speak to other vehicles in the convoy.

Are the motorola h20 t92 any good?

What kind of range can I expect amongst the trees?

I remeber years ago on site we had a setup and they worked around a 4 mile range, but unsure of whether there was an antenna involved.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Did you get a copy of this?

The guy also sell prechirped units. Saves some grief.

Reactions: Decacraft

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
Did you get a copy of this?

The guy also sell prechirped units. Saves some grief.
No I haven't, maybe I should, my only problem is dedicating time and learning and doing the exams, I know I should but I wanted something that would keep me on the legal side until I have the exam done.

Or I belive I can buy a frequency for use? Would that be more suited?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
CB ownership is now Legal in the UK so thats an option.

Really depends on why you want it all?

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
In honesty, when I'm up at height instead of shouting.
Similarly for banking vehicles off road, and around the farm back to base kind of thing. Would like to elimate using a mobile when signal can be poor, or in situations when it's not legal to use one (driving).

Reactions: TeeDee

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
The Motorola h20 t92 are 'good' PMR446 radios but still only 0.5W (as I'm sure you already know).

If you want something more powerful without having to get your Foundation Licence, you could consider the following. You buy a 'group' operating licence for 5 years (I don't think there's a limit to the number of radios you can have in the group). These units are 5W so 10 times more powerful than PMR (BUT that does not mean 10 x the range!). I have also programmed my Baofeng with the same frequencies so I can use it on the same net.

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
The Motorola h20 t92 are 'good' PMR446 radios but still only 0.5W (as I'm sure you already know).

In the real world, or outdoors what would the range be?
As its a regular unit would anyone else be able to jump on or would I interfere with any others in the area? Just for privacys sake

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
The range line-of-sight can be tens of kilometres but, like all these radios, you're unlikely to get comms between two valleys.

No, there's no privacy, anyone using the same range of frequencies can listen into, or talk over, your comms. There are different sets for different industries: security, building trade etc. the 'general' ones are for general use :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE