Vitamins in the wild

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Hi

Does anyone have a list of plants or other sources where vitamins can be obtained.
I know vit c can be gained from oranges and pine needles, vit b15 from sunflower seeds and b17 from apple seeds and linseeds, but does anyone know the rest?

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Hi

Does anyone have a list of plants or other sources where vitamins can be obtained.
I know vit c can be gained from oranges and pine needles, vit b15 from sunflower seeds and b17 from apple seeds and linseeds, but does anyone know the rest?

'fat hen' for iron, protein, vitamin B and calcium
More

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Vit c from root vegetables. Nust have a lot, not sure what though. Cabbage and other green leafys and carrots.
Lance Armstrongs books really push the VitC drink every day, you can't store it and Caffeine prevents absorption.

Here is a paste from a site we use in PSE with kids at school.

Vitamins fall into two categories: fat soluble and water soluble. The fat-soluble vitamins — A, D, E, and K — dissolve in fat and can be stored in your body. The water-soluble vitamins — C and the B-complex vitamins (such as vitamins B6, B12, niacin, riboflavin, and folate) — need to dissolve in water before your body can absorb them. Because of this, your body can't store these vitamins. Any vitamin C or B that your body doesn't use as it passes through your system is lost (mostly when you pee). So you need a fresh supply of these vitamins every day.

Nick

Dana Hawkeye

Oct 1, 2008
England
Vitamins are a diverse group of organic micronutrients and like minerals, they cannot generally be made by the body. They are known by a letter; ie vitamin C. Vitamins are classified into two groups; fat soluable and water soluable. The body can store excess fat soluable vitamins whereas any excess water soluable vitamins are eliminated from the body in urine.

FAT SOLUABLE VITAMINS

Name - Daily Requirement - Main Dietary Sources

Vitamin A - 600 - 700 mcg - Carrots, dairy products, dark green vegetables, fish, liver, liver oils.
Vitamin D - 10 mcg - Buttermilk, fish liver oils, margarine, oily fish.
Vitamin E - 3000 - 4000 mcg - Plant seed oils.
Vitamin K - 60 - 70 mcg - Green vegetables.

WATER SOLUABLE VITAMINS

Vitamin B1 - 1000 mcg - Cereals, egg yolk, legumes, liver, meat, nuts, yeast.
Vitamin B2 - 1000 - 1300 mcg - Cheese, eggs, fish roe, green vegetables, liver, milk, yeast.
Vitamin B6 - 1400 mcg - Beans, egg yolk, liver, meat, peas, soya beans, yeast.
Vitamin B12 - 1.5 mcg - Fortified cereals, meat, milk, offal.
Vitamin C - 4000 mcg - Fruits, green vegetables, oranges, potatoes.
Folic Acid - 200 mcg - Bread, fortified cereals, green vegetables, offal, potatoes.
Niacin - 1200 - 1700 mcg - Cheese, eggs, fish, liver, nuts, whole cereals, yeast.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
All of the necessary vitamins and minerals are available in the wild in the UK, and in sufficient quantities to ensure good health.

There are provisos though.

Vitamin D is naturally produced in our skins, *if*, we get sufficient sunlight. However, above 52o North from October to March there just isn't enough sunlight (should one chose to strip off to enjoy it!) to trigger the production. Fortunately Vitamin D is a fat soluble one and enough can be stored in the body to last us through to Spring ( skinny ladies have problems if they don't eat meat or fishy stuff).

Vitamin C is found in so many plants, from rosehips to leafy greens. No issue, just forage lots and get your Vitamin D production going as you do so :D

The B vitamins, and the real important one B12, are the only other ones that aren't easily available unless one eats meat. This meat has itself obtained it's B12 from micro organisms. There is no other way humans can obtain B12 in any reliable form; the Vegan society itself says so............eat Marmite, or a specifically enforced food, or take the tablets........that said, somefolks can go twenty years on insufficient B12 intake, but it's still not a good idea.

Oh, and large scale consumption of apple seeds is *not* a good idea. Full of cyanide :rolleyes:

cheers,
Toddy

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Um, thanks all, certainly food for thought, Pardon the pun.
Seems yeast is a regular member in the lists, the only yeast i know of in the wild is from the white powder around a sloe. any others?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Toddy - useful post that. Thanks.

I'd have thought one would be better off PLANTING apple seeds - do that for every apple you eat in a while and you'll have an abundance of fresh fruit available after a few years :D

True, but they may not necessarily be good eaters. A pip from a juicy nice tasting apple may grow a tree that has rank apples that'll turn your face inside out as well as your stomach. The only way to get the same apple is to graft a piece of the tree the apple came from onto a root stock or if you want to be clever, several different apple tree cuttings onto a sapling so that the tree will bear different apples. The bramley apple tree is a great example, it produces great cooking apples, but all bramley apple trees come from the first tree or ones created by cuttings from it.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Hi

Just take a few multi vit tabs with you, unless you plan on a poor diet and being out for a few weeks, don't worry about it, you won't loose your hair, teeth or drop dead ;)

Spamel...
I don't even know what to say about that. I'm stunned.

That was completely unexpected.

My mind's racing now - all I can think is that it's cross pollination that can cause a nice apple's seed to produce a thoroughly horrible daughter plant.
That's really surprised me though - completely unexpected.

In fact - you've just blown a long time habit of mine out of the water! I throw apple cores into flower beds, verges and so on whenever I can. It suddenly doesn't seem as cool to be "planting apple trees" now as it used to.

The different apples on one tree thing fascinates me though - I have GOT to try that some time :D

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
We seem to have forgotten IRON and other metals etc. I teach younger girls (pubescent) who need Iron a lot more than me, a male, are quite often anemic. Those girls tend to be veggie as well. No Vit C then no Iron absorption. Although they do grow out of it.

Veggy and eat dairy products - my Doc said if your veggy have a RED day a week, eat lots of red food eg kidney beans, strawberries and red cheese.

This is one problem of eating mil. rations a lot, they don't tend to be that well balanced. Althought the MREs from across the pond seem to have a lot of added stuff. Peanut butter was originally developed by a dentist for helping people with no teeth get the right vits etc.

Nick

Health benefits
Peanut butter provides protection against cardiovascular disease due to high levels of monounsaturated fats and resveratrol; butter prepared with the skin of the peanuts has a greater level of resveratrol and other health-aiding agents.[3] Peanut butter (and peanuts) provide protein, vitamins B3 and E, magnesium, folate, dietary fiber, arginine[4], and high levels of the antioxidant p-coumaric acid.

Plumpy'nut is a peanut butter based food used to fight malnutrition in famine stricken countries. A single pack contains 500 calories, can be stored unrefrigerated for 2 years, and requires no cooking or preparation.[5]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE