Visting loch fyne

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
visting loch fyne in the near future does anyone know of a area to play on the side or near by going late spring. Will proably be going near st cathrines but open to suggestions. There will proably be three of us and useing a basha system cooking on stoves by site and a open fire on loch side is this allowed in scotland on the beach?

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
as far as i knowcamping is permitted virtually anywhere in scotland as is firelighting

of course general courtesies and common sense will make life much easier,, pitching tents out of sight and not lighting fires that are big enough to be seen from space etc etc

there was a thread with most of the guidelines in here but blowed if i can find it now

mebbe a mod can help ?

hope ya enjoy loch fyne, it is glorious

Tant

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I am not a lawyer - but there is a public right to recreation over Crown foreshore (ie, below high water mark) and this includes lighting fires.

There are a few exceptions - eg local and national nature reserves. But I think you would be fine.

Lemoneyewash

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2004
UK
It's a few years since I've fancied braving the most midge infested place I've ever come across but....
There's a nice stretch of lochside road fringed by a mix of old/plantation woodland and scrub/young stuff e.g. Lime, Hazel (good sticks to be had), Alder etc between the Inverary "Battlefield" camp and caravan park and Furnace quarry. Take the old coaching road which is the 1st left immediately past the 'Battlefield', coming from the town towards Furnace and you'll find somewhere on that stretch. It's pretty secluded and a few yards into the wood should see you ok.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
The loch fyne area is a superb location for all bushcraft activities and there a lots of secluded areas which are easily accessed. The area is popular with drive through tourists and hill walkers, but you should not get disturbed. If you are prepared to put in a bit of walk time you can easily find yourself in the middle of nowhere - it's a fantastic resource.
I'm going down that way in April with the family for a bit of a holiday and looking forward to doing some exploring and showing my kids some bushcraft.

Enjoy yourself.

Cheers

JFW

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
I will be going to the Loch Fyne Oyster Bar for lunch on Sunday for a birthday treat and once you have tried the camping bit treat yourself there! Another nice bit is to walk (no cars allowed) up the glen at the head of the loch. Very quiet and with nice mountains and rivers to walk around.
If you are travelling don't go by road all the way. Go to Gourock and get the ferry to Dunoon and then drive the last bit through Strachur and St Katherines to Loch Fyne. You get a real sense of going into the highlands on the ferry.

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
thanks weve visted loch fune many times to dive usally at the twin reef area near otter ferry and the submairne hook up point but we now want to combine both pastimes and just chuck ourseleves in the water on saturday and the rest bushcraft

sourdough

Apr 25, 2005
Dumfries
Hi Scally,

I used to live very near St Catherines. Unless you want to be specifically near the sea loch, you are only 5 minutes away from Loch Eck which is a freshwater loch, you can camp and light fires by the lochside with is forested. It is a great place to forage. If you like fishing, the permit is only £5 a day and the loch has char in it. The Whistlefield Inn sells the permits. A good area. I go back a few times a year to camp over and fish.

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
hi i have been up to loch fyne had a great time we pulled up half way between otter ferry and straheur proably spelt wrong had a great weekend i will get round to posting some pics but that sounds great when i get home and have more time will have to quiz you more

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I just love it up at Loch Fyne. I've spent many a happy time exploring and getting some wilderness living in. In fact my new book is based in Inverary and Auchindrain (it's online if anyone wants to read it. It's a post apocolyptic speculative work in progress, nine chapters 53000 words so far). I get myself up there whenever I can.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE