Vildmark and WEISS courses

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gailainne

Life Member
Has anyone been on these courses from Bearclaw? they look like just what I'm looking for. Any comments on the courses themselves, recommendations for kit and food, travelling from the UK would greatly contribute to my decision.
But two weeks in Scandinavia, you would need very little to push me into going.

Cheers Stephen

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I was booked on the vildmark one but my old boss booked the holiday so I couldn't go. I was quite gutted.

I know several of the people who went and they loved it.

Now, I would consider myself to be a friend of Gary so before anyone mentions anything, I am biased! I can say though, that I have heard good things!

p.s. i'm off to Finland in 2 days with bearclaw for some winter bushcraft!

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Here's a Vildmark review from the 2006 course.....I went on the 2005 Vildmark which was fantastic. Do a search and you'll find plenty of comments and pics. The setting was breathtaking.....didn't hear a vehicle all week except when the site owner drove past a couple of times and the instruction was top quality. I'm hoping to do the Weiss Course this year and the adrenalin's pumping already... :)
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=13468&highlight=vildmark

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Gailainne said:
Lucky bugger :D but I think I'll get the hang of spring/summer first.. you taking a Ventile tarp with you ? ;)

Naaah... I have a stupidly light weight Kathmandu one to take with me and 2 bivi bags, cheapie for me and nice one for my girlfriend. I CANNOT wait!

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I've done the Vildmark course twice now and am booked on this year's WEISS course, it's a beautiful place with top notch instruction from both the UK and Swedish instructors.

I too am a friend of Gary and JP but I still think they are smashing courses and worth every penny.

Cheers,

Bam. :)
(who wishes he could of afforded the time to go to Finland with them too!)

Gailainne

Life Member
Ok guys the eyecandy is very good, but how about the mudane, travel how easy expensive was it ?

Kit, what did you take, tent, tarp/hammock, clothes, what did you use, what stayed in your sack, rating of your sleeping bag ?

Food, how much did you take, did you buy it locally, is it expensive ?

Cash, how much did you take was it enough, was it easy to get more funds ?

Hehe nitty gritty, BTW what have I not considered ?

I would appreciate your thoughts

Cheers Stephen

PS If you would rather PM me please do so.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Well, as usual, I probably overpacked a bit. A comprehensive kit list is supplied and, without going into detail it's the usual recommended course stuff for sleeping in and on, shelter, cooking in and on, first aid, waterproofs and a change of clothes etc. Most people used bashas/bivvi bags but some used basha and hammock....you can get an idea from the pics.

Travel involved Heathrow to Oslo return (about £130 in 2005), bus from airport to bus terminal(£10), bus to Arjang (£12) where we were picked up for a 20 minute drive by mini bus......it was all very straightforward. I took a small amount of food and stocked up in the supermarket next to Arjang bus station. I should also point out I knew no-one when I joined the course but I found all concerned (instructors and course members) to be top people, and it's great to say that the friendships I discovered have continued... :)

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Gailainne said:
Falcon
Thanks for the link, the report is on the bearclaw website, but the photographs......wow.

Cheers

Stephen

Cheers dude, i still look at the photos regually myself. The photos honestly doesnt do the place justice though. I came away from the week on the Vildmark with a totaly re-newed approach on everything. It was amazing! I seriously could not recommend it enough. Everyone on the course was great too which always helps.

Logistics wise, just to add to Stuart's comments as we went in 2006 and looks like it was a bit different - it works out pretty good £52 each way for flights and about another £50 for further travel costs (train to Oslo, bus to Sweden...and back again). Some of us stayed over night in Oslo in a hotel so maybe add another £60 onto that. But others did the whole journey in one go. So pretty cheap really in my view.

Food, there is a supermarket in Arjang where you can stock up for the week. Lots of variety there...whatever you like really. Food is pretty much similar price to here. Water...well you can drink straight from the lake...so thats free.

The temperature is variable as it is anywhere. We had +30c some days, but was generally a perfect week weather wise - where as the 2005 trip was apparently a bit colder and damp at times. I took a 3 season bag with me and used it more as a quilt than anything. Hammock and tarp is probably the most versitile - mossi net is essential!

Other than that....just bring yourself and your normal kit....Bearclaw send out a good kit list when you book though so don't worry too much about that.

Bumblebee

Nomad
May 27, 2005
Here and there
I did the summer course last year and really enjoyed it, a mix of chilling out in the very beautiful nature and learning new skills. Top ace instructors! I'm doing the WEISS course this year but that is going to be very different...

Gailainne

Life Member
Hiya

Small update, Ive been accepted for both courses :D , so have been looking at travel, it looks like for me it would be best to travel out on the friday from Preswick to Torp and spend the night in Oslo, (really glum about that......not). Anybody else doing so ? there looks to be some very reasonably priced hotels in the centre. Send me a PM it would be good to hook up, perhaps have a beer or two.

Stephen

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Hey Mate,

I'll be going out very early on the sunday morning and flying from LHR to Oslo. If you're still about in Oslo when I get there then it would be good to meet up and get the bus over to Sweden together.

Cheers,

Bam. :D

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Bam's lurking there for two weeks I believe and a few of us will be catching up with you on 10th after a night in Oslo. The countdown has begun....... :)

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
falcon said:
Bam's lurking there for two weeks I believe and a few of us will be catching up with you on 10th after a night in Oslo. The countdown has begun....... :)

Hee hee.....Indeed, I have a week all on my own in a canoe on a beautiful swedish lake...... :D :D :D So including the WEISS course I'm there for two weeks! Yippy! :D :D :D

Gailainne

Life Member
:red: :red: :red: Booked my flight and my hotel for the friday night in Oslo (1st).

I've also had a couple of weekend trips checking out kit..still take far to much "stuff" (we need a smilie struggling under a huge rucksack) :rolleyes:.

I think I'm gonna stick with my 65l regatta, crap I know but surprisingly comfortable, I was thinking of getting a new Highlander or Karrimor 80-100L but am resisting the urge until I get back and have learned a few things :D.

The biggest problem I'm having is not sleeping kit or gear to take, but food !, I'm used to having a spar, or something close by to restock, and coolboxes etc etc. I'm a single guy, working out a weeks shopping normally is a pain, but throw in it has to keep for most of that week :( lets hope the fishing is good, and I remember how to, either that or set up an escape commitee for clandestine runs to Arjung for ohhh fresh milk, eggs, bacon, perhaps the odd appertif. :lmao:

BTW :red: :red: :red: 3 weeks and 2 days and counting.

Stephen

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
You can buy your weeks food at the supermarket in Arjang when you get there...lots of dried sausage and pasta is what most take.....plus the manditory polarbread and squeezy tubes of fishy stuff.

I'm coming out on the saturday morning so I'll see you at teh bus station in Oslo for the ride over there.

Cheers,

Bam. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE