Viewing Badgers, West of Scotland

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
One of the things on my list of "To do things" in the coming year is viewing wild badgers.

What im looking for is information, if anyone has it, of a good location to view some wild badgers, any useful advice with ref to best times, not disturbing their young etc.

I live in the Balloch area, just by Loch Lomond, if you wouldnt mind, post general info on forum post but if your giving a location, could you please private message me it, just to be safe and ensure their continuing safety.

Hope you can help me strike another to do thing of my long long list of things to do before i die.

All the best

Colin:thankyou:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Colin you need to speak with Denise (Dharma), she used to be one of the countryside rangers for the Loch Lomond and Trossachs park and badgers and bats were kind of her thing.

Denise doesn't log on here much but if you drop her a pm she'll find that :)

cheers,
M

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Thanks Mary, i will give that a try and see what comes of it. (i hope that she doesnt put that on any dating agency info that BATS AND BADGERS ARE HER KIND OF THING, could make for a lonely life)

Colin

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D nuhuh, just a Dervish Denise :D

It's beautiful weather for spinning poi and I've got flu :( I haven't been out the door to do anything fun for ten days :sigh:
I'm fed up being ill, I wanna play with fire :eek:
They're even sitting all soaked and ready to light up, and I cannae breathe enough to birl them above my elbows.

Next time we're at Comriecroft we'll bring the firepoi along :D

M

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
yeah that would be cool to see Mary, but will the badgers come along too so i can see them as well :lmao:

How come most of my threads end up like a Monty Python movie, way off tangent, how did we get from badgers to fire eating?:35:

Colin

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry Col :eek:

I know of three active setts near where I stay. I don't know any more than that about them though.

What we could do is maybe see if Mike would do one of his Badger watch nights with us ? It'd be a fair trip out for some of you though, but with the information he gives out about them, maybe it'd make it easier for you to see them more locally on your own ?

cheers,
M

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
When you come down to Yorkshire and fix my roof and chimney Col I'll take you to a few sets I keep an eye on :)

DSC01105.jpg

DSC01104.jpg

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Sorry Col :eek:

I know of three active setts near where I stay. I don't know any more than that about them though.

What we could do is maybe see if Mike would do one of his Badger watch nights with us ? It'd be a fair trip out for some of you though, but with the information he gives out about them, maybe it'd make it easier for you to see them more locally on your own ?

cheers,
M

That would be great if mike would do that I'd be more than keen, keep me informed of any progress if you could Mary. The badger is an animal I have always wanted to see.

Thanks Col....

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
When you come down to Yorkshire and fix my roof and chimney Col I'll take you to a few sets I keep an eye on :)

DSC01105.jpg

DSC01104.jpg

Yeah nice try rich, the 10 foot of snow on your roof will keep the rain off you.

Did you come across that set by accident or was there a type of area you searched out.

Col.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Didn't really search for it, it's one I've known about since I was kid, didn't really pay much attention to it then though.

Yeah its amazing what you take for granted when your a kid, unfortunately balloch isn't where I grew up, so didn't roam around here as a wee one. But I'd imagine there has to be a lot of sets round the lomond area. I wonder if any one found a badger set when they were looking for your trivet mate.

Colin

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Yeah its amazing what you take for granted when your a kid, unfortunately balloch isn't where I grew up, so didn't roam around here as a wee one. But I'd imagine there has to be a lot of sets round the lomond area. I wonder if any one found a badger set when they were looking for your trivet mate.

Colin

Lol, the trivetal pursuit

Have you got any quiet broad leaf woodlands near you with a fresh water source, they seem to like south facing slopes too (but not always). The ones I know of are in pokey quiet corners of the woods where nobody really goes to disturb them, a couple of them are in quite elevated positions too but I'm not sure that has much relevance.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Col you just have to be in the right place to find a sett! Just slot of walking sometimes on slopes sometimes in bushes..... just dirt time!
Me I hate badgers.
4e92723c-c455-8d1d.jpg

Dave

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Col you just have to be in the right place to find a sett! Just slot of walking sometimes on slopes sometimes in bushes..... just dirt time!
Me I hate badgers.
4e92723c-c455-8d1d.jpg

Dave

Hiding in the bushes, with my luck I'd get arrested for that one. But already I'm starting to get a picture of their environment and habits.

Thanks Dave

Colin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE