Ventile Smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,
I was wondering if anybody owned and could comment on the Ventile Smock produced By 'Bison Bushcraft'.

Looks Like a hard wearing piece of Kit. Just wondered if anybody could comment on it.

Thanks

John

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

Well after some procrastination from my first post I finally got round to ordering a Ventile smock from Bison Bushcraft.

The downside of putting the ordering off was a price hike of £10.00 :cry: but the upside of this was a much shorter delivery time than the 4 weeks quoted :) .

A nice suprise on opening the parcel was the inclusion of a ventile stuffsack to keep it in. I thought that looked quite professional.

The smock is sized against your chest size and Roger asked if I was in anyway outsized when I ordered. The result was a smock that is for me at least pretty perfect in size it's quite close fitting but I can get a Swanndri sleeveless jacket under it with plenty of room.

I bought my smock blind in as much s I didn't have oppertunity to see one prior to parting with my cash.

I think that Bison have changed the design from the smock advertised on their website http://www.bisonbushcraft.co.uk/axe/index.htm the lower pocket design on my smock seems to be different that the picture and more like the current Arctic smock. Its a baggy style pocket but features double buttons and the envelope closure. The buttons are the excellent slotted and taped no loss type. The top left pocket features a natty piece of web tape sewn into loops so you can attach lanyards from say your compass, what an excellent idea. The main zip is a decent double slider YKK chain type and should last ages. I think they've even used real paracord for the hood drawcord and hem drawcord!

So obviously it's made from Ventile double layer on the shoulder and forearms only single layer on the hood. Oilve green In colour so It'll blend in well and never go out of fashion.

I've only had it about a week but wore it a lot over the course of last weekend. It kept out a heavy shower on a walk with my children along our local beach and kept out a strong breeze the following day on another walk. Not much of a field test I'm afraid but ventile has a high pedigree so I feel confident it'll last and last.

Would I plump for one again? Well with 2nd's ventile at approx £10.00 per meter and lots of cheap smocks around to copy for a pattern. I'd think I'd make my own. :wink:

But Bisons smock is well thought out well made and not that expensive compared to westwinds and snowsleds garments.

Hope this helps if you are or were thinking of buying one. :wink:

Cheers

John

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE