Ventile Safari Shirt

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Yeh. I know. Pricey for a shirt. Okay for a single-layer ventile garment.

Still trying to juggle if it is something I would use and if it is worth 2x 5.11tactical cotton canvas shirts though.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Yeh. I know. Pricey for a shirt. Okay for a single-layer ventile garment.

Still trying to juggle if it is something I would use and if it is worth 2x 5.11tactical cotton canvas shirts though.

It could be, if it's tough and long lasting, I've noticed that the construction quality of 5.11 shirts has fallen over the last few years, something that is handmade in the UK may offer better value. Of course there are lots of folks on this forum who manage fine with old ex-army shirts which sell for a fraction of the price.

Of course if money isn't an option theres always one of these...
http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/578-Woodsman-Shirt

or maybe cotton isn't the way to go...

Bison Bushcraft Guide shirt
http://www.bisonbushcraft.co.uk/page5/page5.html

I have one of their ventile smocks, its very well made, great kit

:)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Got one - love it.
Very smart, almost "city shirt" styling but practical for outdoor wear.
Very comfortable but the sizes do not go big enough for my favourite "baggy" fit.
Only one front pocket - I would prefer more....
but I still rate it as a favourite shirt for spring autumn wear when it is warm enough for short sleeves but with a nip in the morning and evening and sharp brezes.

fast but dim

On a new journey
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
the quality of my 5.11 shirt was awful: 3 buttons fell off in the first day! wife (ex sweatshop sewer) said it was due to the machine being set up incorrectly.

Green Arrow

Nov 5, 2006
Hampshire UK
I have one of the ventile shirts and am very pleased with it, the ventile is thicker than you tend to get on jackets and it keeps out the wind very well. I have worn it in quite heavy rain for about 40min and have had no problems. It is not as good as the BCUK ventile but as a light shirt to wear over the thin swannie merino baselayer, whenyou are out and there is a chance of a bit of rain it works well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE