Ventile And Water Purification Book Info?

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Hi!
Someone back a while posted info on a book that mentioned tests which used Ventile fabric as a water purification. The book also had info on DIY projects. I lost the info-hope this jogs someones memory-wanted to track down the info on Ventile and water purification. Thanks!

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Monk,

(Wow, long time no Ventile post! :p)

Anyway, I don't have the exact paragraphs quoted out of the book, but the general concensus ran something like this:

"Ventile was the first micropourous fabric on the market, due to the cellulose structure of the high quality cotton yarn. Bleached ventile is not at all waterproof, it wets out instantly."

Personally, I don't agree with that. Proofing an anorak does wonders, and makes my Gore-Tex jealous. Anyway, the deal here is that you could make some sort of water filter using scraps of bleached Ventile in a bowl format. You can actually buy shaving tubs on the 'net made out of a similar material. Once wet, the fibres in the bowl swell (No, really?! haha) up and the water just seems to trickle through.

You could use such a structure to filter out "growlies" from your drinking water, but as to actually keeping out bacteria and such, it won't work worth a damn. If you want to keep out protoplasms and the like, you either need a ceramic filter or some purificiation drops. Filters don't make your water taste off, but drops come in small containers.

Just my $0.02 cents.

Adam

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
The book is " Design and make expedition equipment" (optimistic title), and it's by Don Robertson. ISBN 0-905425-08-1
His theory is that if it would remove starch particals from water (5-7micron), then it would also removed amoebic dysentry cysts of a similar size. Giardia is supposed to be about 13 microns.

To prove his theory he tested the filtered water with iodine.

Must admit though, it's the only place i've ever seen it mentioned...

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
addyb, long time no ventile..Scrooge is visiting me so looking at DIY projects. Innocent bystander-thanks for correct title and ISBN number. Figure I might be able to track down this interesting info-have a home project in mind.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE