Venison Casserole suggestions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

elrond

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2006
Alba
Picked a up some lovely venison chunks today.
gonna try a casserole tomoorow
can anyone reccommend a good recipe

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
my tip is use fresh vegtables wild ones if avalable fry meat in cubes to seal the meat and chopped veg coverwith a good stock eg oxo cube and veg cube in warm water and cook I hope you enjoy

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Like Scrivy says but maybe enhanced with Guiness or ale instead of oxo or possibly juniper berries. The addition of large handfuls of fresh herbs never hurts either.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Grind up some seasalt, black pepper (grains of paradise is really nice) a pinch of celery seeds and a little nutmeg. Add this to flour using one heaped pudding spoonful per 500g of venison, roll the meat in the flour. Melt some butter in a pan, and gently fry some garlic, wild ransomes are very good, that have been roughly chopped, and then brown the venison quickly in the hot butter. Add 500ml of hot water and a glass of sherry per 500g of venison. Stir in a couple of big spoonsful of peanut butter (for some reason this goes awfully well with venison), mix well and allow to cook long and slow.

Depending on what sort of veggies you like in your casserole, add as you choose; small potatoes, baby carrots, pearl onions, fennel, chunks of parsnip, chestnut mushrooms, are all good as are small beetroot. Some folks like big butter beans too or even herby doughballs (dumplings) added as well. You need more liquid if adding beans or doughballs though.
Now for the fun part, what herbs have you got growing? Wild oregano is good, thyme and lovage and juniper berries work well. I'm fond of cashew nuts and pinenuts in casseroles.
If your gravy still needs a boost use something like Marigold stock powder.

Casseroles are good things, brilliant when out too, cook up fast on the heat and then let the pot sit tight in the hot hearth ashes while you get on with something else. When you get hungry the food is ready :D If you're doing a hangi it's a good thing to include if your pots are sound enough.

For the veggies among us, this is one of the few ways I find to make tvp chunks tasty :rolleyes: but quorn, marinated tofu and paneer work well too.

cheers,
Toddy

p.s. the old recipes call for oysters cooked with venison stews and pies, sometimes using ground elder as a veggie and stock, but then, oysters were common (and common folks) food in the past.

M

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
i like the peanut butter idea toody, it goes awfully well with goat in a casserole too.

elrond

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2006
Alba
Toddy, that sounds absoutely fantastic. i will give it a go later this week an report back
thanks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE