Veg oil powerd 4x4.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
I stupidly sold my 1.6 MR2 last year and bought a Subaru Impreza Turbo which I now cant afford to run with 18MPG on a good day so looking at getting a diesel 4x4 that I can run on Veg Oil such as:

Discovery 300Tdi
Terrano 2.7i
Isuzu Trooper 3.1
Shogun 2.8.

All of which I'm told will run on part veg oil but all have low mpg so is there a car alternative out there cheap to buy with high MPG that will happily run on part veg oil if i cant find a suitable 4x4?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
My 1995 Jeep Cherokee got 17 mpg (American gallons) so that translates to about 20.4mpg with your Imperial gallon. And that was with a 6 cylinder gasoline engine. You should have no problem getting much better there with any diesel engine.

Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
If you look at Citroen and Peugot cars and mpv's with the 1.9l XUD engine most if not all will happily run on veg oil, Volvo 740 and 940 diesels will also run on veg oil, Renaults with the J8s engine will also work, these are all older engines with Bosch fuel pumps, if you do a bit of searching there used to be several sites that listed suitable vehicles, but they will all be getting on a bit now.

Stuart.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I ran a 300TDi Discovery for a long time, always got around 30 mpg from it, often better than that.

Getting 32 on average from a 200TDi 90 at the moment.

Would be interested to know what you eventually go for and how you get on with veg oil.

Dave

EdS

TDi don't like straight veg oil unless you have a twin tank and preheat system. It is too vicous for the injectors without. Yes, it will run for a time but it eventually gums up causing major problems. What you need is an older style indirect injection with swirl pots.

As has been said - 1.9 XUD, old Merc diesels, 3.9 Mazda, Volkwagen 1.9d/td
1.7TD Astra / Corsa, 1.5TD Corsa -- just make sure it is the Isuzu build engine

http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/fuelsdatabase/database/allentries.php

Elen Sentier

If you look at Citroen and Peugot cars and mpv's with the 1.9l XUD engine most if not all will happily run on veg oil, Volvo 740 and 940 diesels will also run on veg oil, Renaults with the J8s engine will also work, these are all older engines with Bosch fuel pumps, if you do a bit of searching there used to be several sites that listed suitable vehicles, but they will all be getting on a bit now.

Stuart.

That's good to know. Do you know if the current Clio diesel will run on veg oil too? We've got a man who makes it in the next village! The veg oil I mean, not the Clio :rolleyes: Not sure if the Clio has the Bosch pump ...

Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
Hi, I don't think any of the current diesels will run on veg oil , it's too thick for the injection systems to handle, the kinds of pressures and tolerances in a modern diesel engine are mind-blowing, just look up the fuel pressure figures for a common rail diesel !

I have a funny feeling you're getting a little bit confused, I take it the man in the next village is making bio-diesel, not pressing rapeseed for oil, am I right? If so then you should be able to run the Clio on bio, it should be ok, although please do some research before you try as I'm not familiar with that engine and wouldn't want to lead you astray.

Stuart.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
My Ssangyong Musso 2.9 TD ran very nicely on pure (new) veggie oil (although in the winter I did run it on 30/70 diesel/veggie, as in cold weather veggie oil gets a bit thick!)

Put a fuel filter in-line - about a quid or two on ebay. First few tanks cleaned out a lot of gloop from the tank - hence the extra filter which I changed twice - but after that it was fine. Averaged around 30mpg on both diesel and veggie oil. Wouldn't touch used veggie oil, as very difficult to get rid of the small burnt particules that would clag up injectors. Did over 10,000 miles with no fuel issues. fuel pump is key - Bosch for preference. And it wasn't common-rail - apparently they don't take kindly to veggie oil!

Remember, Herr Diesel's first diesel engine ran on peanut oil....

9InchNinja

Settler
Feb 9, 2012
PE1
Hilus Surf. 3ltr. Ran mine on new veg oil the whole time I had it. Make sure you get one with the bosch injectors and the winter pack (diesel pre-heater) and you can run it straight on veg all winter too. Mine never missed a beat. Should of kept it really.

If you drive it like you stole it you're looking at 18ish mpg, but stick to 60mph and you're very close to the 30s then.

RWD too, lots of fun in the wet :D

Jackdaw

Land Rover Discovery 300Tdi will happily run on straight veg oil so long as the outside temperatures aren't too cold. You will need to carry a couple of spare fuel filters when you first do it as the crap at the bottom of the tank tends to be pulled through by the thicker veg oil. I normally run on 60/40 mix of veg oil to diesel but this is only because I hate having to fill up from 20 veg oil bottles (it takes ages and is quite messy).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE