Valentines Spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Simplicity is beauty. I hope there is a lucky lady to recieve this at valentines. An old tradition that should be revived I reckon. Much better than a bottle of plonk and a dozen roses... well ....maybe as well as a bottle and Roses. !

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Is there an explanation why a lovingly carved spoon is gifted, or is it shrouded in the fog of history?

We did not celebrate Valentines in Scandihooligania until the recent Americanization .

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
As far as I recall it's a Welsh tradition. I think they were carved as a betrothal gift. I'm sure some of our Welsh friends can enlarge on that matter. I think it's a much nicer gift than a card. And the fact that someone has spent time and energy on making a beautiful item shows a true commitment.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
100% agree. Old customs like this should be encouraged.

I have a lovely friend who makes Irish Sudan chairs. He also makes other odds and ends on his lathe. Last year I had a newspaper pot maker. The year before a dibber for planting my garden. This year I got a rolling pin. All lovely handmade gifts that mean more than something from a a shop. Unfortunately he's married so no love spoons for me this year! Ah well , wonder what my chances of a set of handmade chairs are....?

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Bit Off Topic ( still spoon related)
I Bohemia, they had a custom where during Eastern the boys chased and smacked the girl’s behind with a decorated willow whip. If the girl liked the boy, she gave him an elaborately decorated egg.
Also in that area, in Moravia, the boys went around with a large cooking spoon they had carved and decorated, and smacked the bottom of the chosen girl.
He also got an egg in return, if she liked his advances.

It was a way to playfully show the opposite sex the romantic interest in a particular person.

Maybe it was a similar custom in Wales?
You give a spoon to the person you like to cook the meals for you the rest of your days?

In Sweden we had different customs!

Edited after spoken to Mother to get the customs right..

Last edited:

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Nice spoon Kepis! Simple, elegant lines, needs no more.

Regarding the Welsh love spoons, it was (I think) the tradition that a chap calling on his sweetheart would be set to work carving spoons for her parents. This way they could judge how skillful the man was, and more importantly, they knew that his hands were kept gainfully employed, and not wandering!

Reactions: Kepis and Janne

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Were the bowls always heart shaped?
No - the shaft of the spoon was usually the decorated part, with all sorts of skillful work from chip carving to chains, balls in cages etc all with their meanings...
I just carve simple ones...but am having trouble uploading pictures at the moment!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE