Using Jasper as a flint substitute

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

underground

May 31, 2005
Sheffield
Hi, can anyone tell me whether Jasper is a suitable rock to use as a flint? It was mentioned by Val Lord as a stone which can be fashioned in a similar way to flint, and since I have a big lump I thought I may try it with a steel.

However as I'm not sure if it will spark, I'd rather not break the piece up unneccesarily.

I don't know how to knap flint yet so I don't mind keeping the lump intact till I can...

Ta!

underground

May 31, 2005
Sheffield
Hi MM, hmm how can I describe it? It's came from a quarry above Porth Oer on the Lleyn peninsula, the quarrying being for the purpose of providing decorative stone.

It's almost sedimentary in appearance having linear planes and sharp corners- it looks nowt like a flint nodule. There's a bit of an ochrous deposit on it too.

A pebble I found on the beach has a similar deep red appearance to the quarry stone, and is 'marbled' with white and black veins....

underground

May 31, 2005
Sheffield
Thanks Toddy- I didn't know it was a form of quartz (not got round to reading my book yet). Hopefully I'll do something with it one day....

underground said:
Hi MM, hmm how can I describe it? It's came from a quarry above Porth Oer on the Lleyn peninsula, the quarrying being for the purpose of providing decorative stone.

It's almost sedimentary in appearance having linear planes and sharp corners- it looks nowt like a flint nodule. There's a bit of an ochrous deposit on it too.

A pebble I found on the beach has a similar deep red appearance to the quarry stone, and is 'marbled' with white and black veins....
Sounds either like a Red or Brecciated Jasper, I'll give it a go and let you know, although I'm not too hopeful. Some Jaspers would be better for this than others

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
Jasper Flint and Chert are all closely related and tend to grade into ine another to some extent so a good quality piece of jasper can be better than a low quality flint.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
I've made arrowheads out of bloodstone which is just another form of jasper. It pressure flakes well but getting a suitable piece off the main block was a bit hit and miss.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE