Using a Sweedish Army Trangia

Jan 18, 2008
Hyde
I've been sleeping out this weekend, (I'll post pics as soon as I get time and figure out how), and have been using a Sweedish Army Trangia, bought last week from Surplus and Adventure.

I have a couple of questions that someone may be able to help me with?

When I used the burner, sometimes it would burn well, and I could clearly see the flames coming from the pin holes around the edge, but other times these didn't seem to light and all that burnt was the reservoir in the middle, and didn't seem as efficient, and was out of fuel before the water was boiled?

The burner came as two parts, just the main part and a lid? is something missing?

Is this how they work or am I doing something wrong?

On the whole I was pleased with the set up of this kit, especially using the pots on a open fire, but I bought this with a mind to be used when and where I can't have an open fire.

Any help/comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
>When I used the burner, sometimes it would burn well, and I could clearly see the >flames coming from the pin holes around the edge, but other times these didn't seem to >light and all that burnt was the reservoir in the middle, and didn't seem as efficient, and >was out of fuel before the water was boiled?

Probabaly means the thing was not hot enough I have found if you blow on it while it is in the windbreak it will roar a bit get hotter and then it should sustain the harder burn.

>The burner came as two parts, just the main part and a lid? is something missing?
You should have three main bits a top lid that has a catch and is used as a small fry pan or for boiling a cuppa. There is a large pot for boiling and there is a wind break connected to that

>Is this how they work or am I doing something wrong?
You put the wind break around the burner put the pot ontop thats it.

>On the whole I was pleased with the set up of this kit, especially using the pots on a >open fire, but I bought this with a mind to be used when and where I can't have an open >fire.
Works great on both remeber you need a pot grip the pots get damn hot!!

>Any help/comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
here in the netherlands I use brandspirtus I tried a bottle of B&Q meths from the UK and this seemed to burner lower and also make a lot of soot on the pans.. Try looking for alternatives that has a higher octane to get a higher burn this could improve your setup..

I also bought a new burner for mine as the cap was broken!! it works great. can cost 8 euros.
i have the simmer ring I normally use it for extingusing the flame
DONT USE the cap with the O ring for putting out the flame it will melt!

Jan 18, 2008
Hyde
Thanks for the advice.

Just to clarify, the parts I recieved in the post were, large pan/pot, small pan/pot, wind break, but the burner only has a main body and a lid, and you've mentioned a "Simmer Ring"? Should that have been part of the kit I was sent?

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
I have 2 of these and didn't get a simmer ring with either and have never seen them in pictures of a Samk.
I have a simmer ring but am not sure if it would fit a Samk as I've never tried it.
You can buy a simmer ring on it's own but make sure it will fit.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Thanks for the advice.

Just to clarify, the parts I recieved in the post were, large pan/pot, small pan/pot, wind break, but the burner only has a main body and a lid, and you've mentioned a "Simmer Ring"? Should that have been part of the kit I was sent?
This is a simmer ring...

prodmainimg2221_250.jpeg

It basically allows you to partially cover the flame so you don't cremate your sausages or whatever.

Generally the Swedish Army version doesn't come with a simmer ring, but you can pick one up for £4 or so.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
the burner in the SA trangia is larger than the civilian model. the simmer ring does not fit.
the SAT generally is supplied with;
windshield
pot
pot lid/frying pan
burner body
burner lid
fuel bottle.

additionally sometimes you will get a cup that fits inside as well although this is very rare.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The simmer ring off my civvi Trangia fits perfectly on my Swedish Army Trangia - the "neck" is the same although the "body" is bigger.
Are there more than one size issued?:confused:

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Just out of interest does the civilian trangia burner fit? Got a civvie one and thought that the Swedish trangia would be great if I could use the civvie one as well? I currently use the burner in my hobo set up.
Ta Dave

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
There might be different suppliers for the burner, Mine was made by Optimus I think (I'd have to check, and I can't get to my gear cupboard at the moment)
My civvy simmer ring definitely does not fit my burner though.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The burners were mostly made by Svea or Trangia, you don't get a simmer ring with the SA setup.

Make sure the holes are clean, ***** them with a paper clip. Also, make sure you insulate the burner from cold ground, this really helps a lot with the larger burner, (when I used them, I carried a piece of thick cardbord and rested the burner on that) cold ground really slows things down. The bigger burner takes longer to get going so you may need to use more fuel than the standard T burner.

These are not as quick as the proper Trangia setup, in fact, I think of them more as an open fire cookset with a meths burner backup but you can't go wrong for the money you pay; ideal for heating rat pack meals etc.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
simmer rings do fit but they dont fit over the cap of the army version in the same way the civvy sealing rings dont fit as well. the burners wont burn so well if they are cold or on cold ground so you need to preheat the burner top by tipping some fuel into the groove on the outside, this should prime it up nicely and give you a good flame. alternatively you can warm the stove up a bit in a pocket. this is why the civvy trangias are set up with the burner raised off the ground and why they dont have a big preheat groove.

the main thing to remember is that scandanavian ration packs are freeze dried or boil in the bag so the kits are designed mainly for boiling water for drinking or rehydrating food in the same way british hexi burners or crusader cooking units do not have a simmer function. so you might need to tailor your menu accordingly or buy a simmer ring :) the main pot is a boiler, the lid is meant to be a plate/bowl/cup in the same fashion as the german kits adopted by the northern countries between the wars.

still one of the most usefull bits of kit is the standard trangia pot grab as it works with anything.

have a play and make some pop can stoves as well. they are lighter, burn just as well and often better if you make some of the more technical pressurised versions. you can also light a small fire inside the windshield for cooking.

they may be heavy but they are designed for abuse so will allways be a worthy purchase :)

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
just dragged one of my burners out of the freezer, if you prime it or make a wick to wrap around the outside and only half fill it then it roars up fine :)

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
Thanks for the advice.

No I didn t get the simmer ring only when I bought the new burner did it come with one thin they can be baought seperate to!! but to be hoenst you are not missing out on anything!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE