Using a SS wine bucket as a billy can?

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Hi all,

I just picked up this very nice chromed stainless steel wine bucket from local chairty shop and wondering if anyone had the idea to use these as you would a billy can to cook in?

idaqofsbz2feva1z7dg.jpg

niq3fld96lo0kurbloo.jpg

ff2afdhcl7gapsexthmw.jpg

niuil4agzt7gp0msdjn0.jpg

azd7qyvsl8i1fyga4ykt.jpg

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
quick google tells me.........."Other adverse health effects associated with Hexavalent chromium overexposure include irritation of the nose, throat, and lungs. Repeated or prolonged overexposure can damage the mucous membranes of the nasal passages and cause ulcers to form. In some cases the damage is so severe that the septum (the wall separating the nasal passages) develops a hole. Skin exposure to hexavalent chromium over prolonged periods can cause ulcers to form. Some workers develop an allergic sensitization to chromium. In sensitized workers, contact with even very tiny amounts can cause a serious skin rash. Exposure to Chrome 6 can also cause permanent eye damage in some cases.
Employees performing welding or thermal cutting tasks on chromium - containing metals are likely to be over-exposed to Hexavalent Chrome unless engineering controls and / or respiratory protection are used."

doesn't sound too pleasant to be honest. of course, everything in the article i posted is relating to welding of chrome plated surfaces, which happens a higher temperature than you'd generate in the average camp fire, but i'd still be wary. hopefully one of the members with a slightly better understanding of metallurgy than i have will be along soon to give a definative answer

stuart

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
quick google tells me.........."Other adverse health effects associated with Hexavalent chromium overexposure include irritation of the nose, throat, and lungs. Repeated or prolonged overexposure can damage the mucous membranes of the nasal passages and cause ulcers to form. In some cases the damage is so severe that the septum (the wall separating the nasal passages) develops a hole. Skin exposure to hexavalent chromium over prolonged periods can cause ulcers to form. Some workers develop an allergic sensitization to chromium. In sensitized workers, contact with even very tiny amounts can cause a serious skin rash. Exposure to Chrome 6 can also cause permanent eye damage in some cases.
Employees performing welding or thermal cutting tasks on chromium - containing metals are likely to be over-exposed to Hexavalent Chrome unless engineering controls and / or respiratory protection are used."

doesn't sound too pleasant to be honest. of course, everything in the article i posted is relating to welding of chrome plated surfaces, which happens a higher temperature than you'd generate in the average camp fire, but i'd still be wary. hopefully one of the members with a slightly better understanding of metallurgy than i have will be along soon to give a definative answer

stuart

Nasty. Not even sure I fancy using a chrome-plated firegrill then….We need a metallurgist

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
quick google tells me..........

Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring. :)

...hopefully one of the members with a slightly better understanding of metallurgy than i have will be along soon...

Well until one does, you'll have to make do with me. :)

Don't worry about chromium plating. Many, many kitchen utensils, grill racks, toast racks, cheap items of cutlery, kettles, teapots and what-nots are chrome plated. The chromium is in the metallic form, not a hexavalent compound -- which would indeed be dangerous. In fact most of the stainless steels in use in kitchens and for domestic cutlery contain about 18% chromium, which is why they are stainless. Chromium forms a very dense, very hard, and extremely thin oxide layer when exposed to oxygen in the air. That protects it from further oxidation, more or less indefinitely as long as you don't soak it in salty water or bleach, nor use a blowlamp on it. Strong chlorides tend to cause pitting corrosion, and if you heat it to very high temperatures (well beyond what would turn your dinner into charcoal) you will certainly damage it but it would probably be recoverable. Normal cooking over an open fire, a wood burner or a stove will be fine.

So whether the item in question is chromium plated or not, if it's stainless there's still a lot of chromium in it, and it's fine to cook with and eat from as long as it's single walled. If it isn't, then it might contain a layer of insulation or something else which wouldn't enjoy being waved over a flame so you'd need to be careful. The thickness of the steel shouldn't present a problem from the point of view of heat transfer, and if it's on the thick side it might even spread the heat spread evenly and prevent hot spots which could burn the food.

And it was a really good find! I'm jealous!

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring. :)......

the satyricon?!?! on a wednesday?!?! that's some deep thought there my friend!

a chunk of my afternoon has been taken up with trying to learn a little about chromium, the bits of knowledge that i've picked up have made me realise that to produce hexavalent chromium your fire making skills would have to pretty good, chromium doesn't even melt until it reaches somewhere round about 1900 degrees C, it's still got to boil and then vapourise after that before it becomes at all harmful (that's the way that i understand it anyway) so perfectly safe to use on an open fire.

as always, it was much easier to wait for ged to come along and do a better job of explaining technical things than i ever could, cheers ged

stuart

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I have a double walled one, and have thought about trying to turn it into an oversized woodgas effect stove. Not sure how to drill through just inner wall for upper holes though.

It can be done with patience. You need to punch the holes well and use a cobalt bit and lube with heavy pressure and slow drill speed, being very careful not to hit the outer wall. Pilot holes are needed too. I've done it to a few stainless flasks with success.

I have a cooler for the same project :)

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
wow I hadn't even thought about chrome being harmful, but it's a relief to hear someone who knows his metal say it's safe. I really don't think it's double-walled. It's made from a single piece of steel, no joints or anything like it. The steel thickness is about 1.5mm. To be honest I don't even know if it was chrome plated or not, but guessed it was due to the way it looks!
And Jed if you want it it's your's. I will never use/need something this large (approx 5 litre capacity. I'm looking for either a small stainless steel zeba billy in servicable condition, or a good firesteel. PM me if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...To be honest I don't even know if it was chrome plated or not, but guessed it was due to the way it looks!

It's probably just polished.

And Jed if you want it it's your's. I will never use/need something this large (approx 5 litre capacity. I'm looking for either a small stainless steel zeba billy in servicable condition, or a good firesteel. PM me if anyone is interested.

Cheers. I can probably sort you out a firesteel (I mean a ferro rod, one of the mischmetal ones) if you want to do a swap. :)

Roughly how far are you from M1 Junction 28?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE