Using a Kifaru stove in a Tentipi - heat shield advice needed!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 5, 2010
Edinburgh
Hi folks. Looking for some stove advice...

I have been using a Tentipi Safir 5 (polycotton material) for the past year, mainly on motorbike trips around Scotland. For winter camping I used a firebox, which works OK, but can cause a lot of smoke in the upper part of the tent. I am planning to do the same this winter, but am looking for a better wood burning solution.

I have just ordered a Kifaru stove to replace the firebox, and I know I will need to add a heat shield of some sort for the chimney as it passes through the tent wall near the apex. The Kifaru stove is designed for tents with a stove jack - basically a section in a heat resistant material with a hole for the chimney. Tentipis have a hole as well, but they are designed to use a cylindrical heat shield which goes around the chimney pipe to keep it clear of the tent material.

I plan to make my own heat shield. Has to be light and portable as I will need to pack it on my bike.

Has anyone done this already with a Tentipi. Any tips about what materials work best? Silicone, fiberglass, fireblanket, chickenwire, etc. all come to mind, but I am not sure.

Any members' experience or advice would be much appreciated.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i've been playing around with a home-made wood burner to go in my cheapo argos tipi for a little while. i've used, pretty successfully, a piece of thin mild steel that i rolled up into a rough circle. i used a couple of nuts and bolts to hold it together but rivets would work just as well. i then drilled and tapped three holes at equal(ish) distances apart around the collar, the three holes each have a bolt in them and the bolts tighten down onto the chimney and hold the collar in place (three bolts isn't really enough, i should have put two sets of three). insulation from the heat of the cimney comes in the form of an air space between the cimney and the collar (about 2inches all the way round on mine). i think the easiest way to go about making a collar type heat shield would be to just find a big old catering tin and cut the top and bottom out of it.

cheers

stuart

UKdave

Forager
Mar 9, 2006
Ontario, Canada
So far the best stove jacks I have found are from a plumbers merchant or screwfix, they are called "solder mats" or plumbers heatshields its what they put between the pies and the walls when they are sweating pipes to stop burning the house down!!
The way I installed mine was to get a general location of where I wanted the pipe to come out,then I sawed it in place on the tent,then once i was happy with the position I cut a "+" in the tent first then used wonder web to stick the flaps back then I cut a "+" in the plumbers mat,make sure the + is smaller then the pipe so you have to force the pipe in I did it this way so it didnt create an area where water may pool and drip in.So far it has worked out really well,I have done this on my cheapo Argos tent,I will be doing it on my Go-lite when I pluck up the courage!! http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/products.jsp?id=47672&ts=03042

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE