Uses for spent real Christmas trees - parang practice

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
We had our first real tree this Christmas. Think it was a nordman spruce about 6.5ft. It's needles stayed on really well.

Anyway we took the decks down on Monday and the tree sat outside all forlorn.

Took my condor village parang to it today and had stripped it of branches in under a minute - so they can be recycled. That was good fun.

What to do with the trunk? What are you doing with yours?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I seem to remember someone mentioned they carve an ornament from the trunk for next years tree and they're building up a small collection :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You can make a whisk from the peeled top bit of the tree. The little branches just before the growing tip I mean. The tip dries out and becomes the handle.

That idea came from one of the Scandinavians a few years ago, but I found peeling the top of my tree to be like trying to cuddle a cactus :sigh: and gave up with sore, sticky, hands.

M

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Cut off 6" - 8" of clear wood, if you can find it.
Split that precisely in half, peel off the bark.
Carve a wood spirit for next year's tree.
One of the very best ideas for an old tree that I've ever heard of.
Don't forget to put the date on the back

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
From the widest section of trunk, remove the bark, and then use a forstner bit to hollow down into it. Smooth out the interior with a spoon knife and or a bit of sandpaper, give it a finish to seal it and you have a quick cup/beaker. Use it for next year's Christmas toasts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE