Use of an Auger

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I picked up a cheap auger to covert some logs to rocket stoves. When drilling down into the wood the screw tip kept getting blocked with the saw dust it was making. It was just not clearing as the tip went deeper. When I tried to drill into the side of the wood it was like a knife through butter, no issues at all. The "side" cutter and the chisel removed wood fine but as the screw tip clogged it was not been dragged into the log

I drilled a small pilot hole down into the wood and the auger worked fine for as long as the pilot hole extended.

Is this me or is it normal when driving / drilling into the grain as opposed across the grain.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Always an issue drilling end grain with those the threads always jam up and then it just spins, which is why they used to make spoon bits and an auger bit that had a different end pattern (can't remember the name of them at the mo' though).
So it's not just you :D

Rob.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
As Rob said, there is a different pattern for end grain which has a more tapered (cone shaped) end behind the lead screw I guess so that the cutting edge and effect is less aggressive initially so the lead screw doesn't need to pull so strongly ?

Cheers, Paul

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
some of us still make spoon augers for drilling into end grain ;) I'm in the process of making some at present (well, not right now as I'm sat infront of the Frustration Engine).

I didn't realise the Gedges pattern bit would be more effective than the usual lip and spur varieties or screw auger, ban't really see how it would be. I shall have to dig one out and try myself.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I remember using a Bullnose point as an apprentice (it belonged to the joiner I was working with) for end grain and angled holes it does work well. I suspect the Gedges would too.
The spur on 'normal' bits do have a tendency to make the bit bounce when angled (particularly in a powered drill rather than a brace), I also have the feeling that these types of bit were also called "chairmakers" bits due to the need for angled holes in chair seats and arms.

Rob.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE