UQ Down- duvet and pillows?

Beansprout

Tenderfoot
I'm looking to convert an old 1/2 season down sleeping bag into a Under Quilt. I've done the UQ bit, I just need to fill it with a bit more down. [I hung a month or two ago with it under and the down slipped into the middle- I also need to sew new channels into it!]

SO I was thinking... Duvets and pillows have down in them... What if I get a cheap duvet from ebay or something? Or a couple of down pillows?

I don't need much, as the sleeping bag has already got some in it. It just needs a little fluffing! I didn't think it would be worth the hassle of finding a UK supplier and then buying a bulk load.

OOORR alternatively, if a lovely forum member has some spare...!!

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Pillows & duvets marked as "down" usually have a percentage, the rest being plain ol' feather. You might get lucky, though...

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
the more expensive the down duvet usually means better quality of filling,but then that can be really expensive!

Capture.jpg

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Hohkay, cheers.

So plain ol' feather obviously wouldnt be as effective, but would it 'do'?

How much.. volume... is a 100g of 800, in "pillow" terms :D

A genuine 800 cuin/oz soft fill pillow will contain around 550g of down. Thats enough to make an underquilt and top quilt at a 2" thickness of insulation. To get a pillow with this fill, you'll need to spend well over £100, £150 is nearer the mark.

Goose down aint cheap though and prices have risen 30% this year.

If I were you and not worried about weight too much, get a 600 fill pillow from a good quality vendor and use that.

A point to note; 100% down can have up to 10% feathers in it by law, don't expect pure goose down-it doesn't exist. Its almost impossible to remove all feathers.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
That would be about right me ol' Bean.

Feather is very effective at poking through and escaping, and not being compressible. It also much less insulative- its in another league.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I've been looking for down insulation suppliers, wanting to make an UQ and a top quilt - got the shell material and have made a start, but the expensive bit, the down will require abit of searching. So far I've found -

http://www.extremtextil.de/catalog/Insulation:::53.html?XTCsid=a2be578d898bfeef60a8822071de3358 in Germany with 100g 860+ down @ 27.90 euro = £22.17 depends on how much shipping is though [I've not looked at shipping yet]

The link previously [from ukhammocks] = 100g 850+ down @ £25 plus shipping & handling @ £4

or:

http://thru-hiker.com/materials/insulation.php from US = 3oz 900+ [the american measurement of loft I presume] $29.95 = 85g £18.53 plus shipping, VAT and customs charges [could be expensive as shipping from outside EU]

I did think about buying pillows duvet etc but upon closer searching most are filled with 600+ down or if have high loft down are REALLY expensive for the amount of down you get. Also duvets and pillows have a higher feather to down ratio.

SO anyone else know of suppliers of Down preferably EU based??

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE