Up the Trossachs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Guys and Gals,

As of this weekend I am taking a well earned break and planning on spending a week on the banks of Lock Lomond, a lovely place.

With this in mind can any locals give me an idea of likely weather patterns, and more importantly points on places to explore (both woodland and tourist type stuff).

Any feed back would be great - feel free to PM me if you'd rather keep your secret bit og heaven secret still!! :wink:

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
try Magikelly, he's already given me some pointers Gary.

just up loch Fynne from Inverrary is/was a great fish resturant, with it's own shop next door selling freshly caught produce.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Cheers Womble - is that the place on the loch side, white building that does really good oysters?

Rod

On a new journey
Gary,

If you take the road to Rowardennan & park at the end (one of the stopping off points on the West Highland way. You can walk alone the North side of Loch Lomond. There is thick pine forest & some of the land is 'owned' by the National Trust for Scotland. I have not explored along it too far, but I'm sure you could find a wild camping spot if you are discreet. (I've spent more time to date in the Lomond Hills). This is Roy Roy country - so there will be plent of places to hide!

Here's your weather forcast link http://www.metcheck.com/7dayforecas...nID=36&Arr=120&Country=SC&Coastal=&pc=G63 0AR

Good Scottish weather!

enjoy your trip
Rod

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
Gary said:
Guys and Gals,

As of this weekend I am taking a well earned break and planning on spending a week on the banks of Lock Lomond, a lovely place.

LOCK LOMOND :yikes: Where on earth is Lock Lomond??? Now if you happen to be talking about LOCH Lomond :nana: that is an area I know quite well. :eek:): and could tell you more about.

What are you going to be doing?, a family holiday?, B&B, a camping trip?, will you have a car with you?

Let me know and I will do my best to help you out!

cheers

stuarty

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Grasshopper said:
Gary,

If you take the road to Rowardennan & park at the end (one of the stopping off points on the West Highland way. You can walk alone the North side of Loch Lomond. There is thick pine forest & some of the land is 'owned' by the National Trust for Scotland. I have not explored along it too far, but I'm sure you could find a wild camping spot if you are discreet. (I've spent more time to date in the Lomond Hills). This is Roy Roy country - so there will be plent of places to hide!

Here's your weather forcast link http://www.metcheck.com/7dayforecast.asp?lat=56&lon=-4&locationID=36&Arr=120&Country=SC&Coastal=&pc=G63%200AR

Good Scottish weather!

enjoy your trip
Rod
The area between Rowardenan and Inversnaid is as good as you can get. The nearer Inversnaid the better. There is even a bothy there if you do not want to rough it. Keep an eye out for the wild goats but don't be tempted to get one for the pot. I remember once being told that killing one was an act of treason. I cannot remember for sure but it is meant to be something like Rob Roy was hiding in a cave and when the English (boo hiss) came looking for him they saw wild goats at the entrance to the cave so decided there could be no one inside. Probably not true but a nice story.

Oh and PM sent

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Sorry Stuartyr it was a typo!! Loch Lomond.

Magi as I'm english taking a goat would probably be an act of war!! But as my wife is of scottish blood I guess it could be treason too! :shock: :?: confused now - me too!

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Gary
I think the Haggis season has now opened...
Traps will work, but if you;ve got time the best bet is to find a haggis path, it'll run round the hillside like a contour line. Haggis have longer legs on one side to allow them to get round the hills quickly. What you have to do is find one of the paths, get yourself a club, sit yourself down and wait for the wee guy to come careering round the hill, whap.... you've got yourself a haggis.. Pluck, boil and eat with whisky... grand!

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
If you have a car take a drive over the trossachs, the dukes pass road from aberfoyle to calander. The Inversnaid area, as has been mentioned is particularly good woodland, and should be very quiet at this time of year. If you go there, visit Rob Roys cave!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE