Uninvited Guests

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
Black bears-at least here in New England-can get up to 300 lbs. Mind you, that's 300 lbs of animal, not cushy, soft human :). We're starting to have an issue with them here, getting into suburban areas, due to encroachment. And, that people who don't normally have contact with wild animals leave out bird feeders, trash, and leftovers, without realizing that these tasty morsels are easy pickings for bears, and that bears can smell these up to a couple miles away. Fortunately, black bears are pretty timid, and can usually be scared off. The myth of being killed by bears-black bears kill more than other bears (although, there are several different reasons why: their habitats are more widespread, they are more likely to come into contact with people due to their close proximity to humans, and they are scavengers, which often draws them directly into suburban and, growing more frequent, urban populations) is just that-a myth. It will make the news (After all, its not a "normal" death), but, since 1900, there have only been 61 deaths since 1900. Think about the millions of people in north America that visit the woods each year-the chance of getting killed by a black bear are so small, you are more likely to get a hole in one, right after winning the lottery, then struck by lightning-after seeing a UFO. Here's a nice website that takes the myth out of black bears: http://www.bear.org/website/bear-pa...humans/119-how-dangerous-are-black-bears.html
We, as human beings, have a tendency to categorize some animals as aggressive, based more on myth, and our own instinctive fears of predators (none of which exist today, as they did thousands of years ago), and, of course, the dark. We did this with wolves, bears, mountain lions, etc. Granted, attacks DO happen-but, none of the apex predators in North America have us on their menu. I've seen a couple bears while hiking, and even saw one a couple years back eat my moms birdfeeder-feeder and all. Usually, once they figure out someone is there, the only thing you see is their rear end quickly moving away :).
An interesting note about their digestive system: bears will attempt to ingest ANYTHING. IF they cannot digest it, they will simply regurgitate it. I remember seeing a video a couple years ago done as an experiment in Yellowstone National Park. They put food into a van, to see how long it would take bears to get in, if they could. Once they did, they not only ate the food-they proceeded to attempt to eat the upholstery, cushions, steering wheel-anything they could. There was a lot of bear vomit inside the van when they were done. I sort of felt bad for the guy that had to recover the cameras :)

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
Yeah I loved it as a kid too. I didn't realize it at the time but they were basically using a cub and very controlled circumstances (well fed and well trained by professionals)

I'm sure keeping one for a pet could certainly be done; but I expect the cost and devotion to do it correctly would be beyond most people's ability. It's certainly not something I know of anyone doing.

And, feeding one would bankrupt most anyone!

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Thanks for the info, oldsoldier, that's very interesting and kind of what I thought. Very few wild animals (in my experience) are truly aggressive.

pete79

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
In a swamp
Had one just last night trying to break into my chicken coop. I'd switched off the electric fence while I was coming and going (eggs out, water in) and looked out the house window and though "that looks like something large, hairy and bear-esque trying to get into the chicken coop". What do you know......it was a bear. It wasn't very easy to get him moved on either.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The myth of being killed by bears-black bears kill more than other bears (although, there are several different reasons why: their habitats are more widespread, they are more likely to come into contact with people due to their close proximity to humans, and they are scavengers, which often draws them directly into suburban and, growing more frequent, urban populations) is just that-a myth....

Not completely myth. We have numerous incursions (for lack of a better word) every year just in two towns here in Okaloosa County alone. Yes, I said in towns (Niceville and Shalimar) not rural areas. And while it's also true we haven't had any fatalities, we've had two maulings (also in town) within the last seven months or so.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks for the info, oldsoldier, that's very interesting and kind of what I thought. Very few wild animals (in my experience) are truly aggressive.

Agreed, aggressive would be the wrong way to describe a black bear (an exception would be if it were defending cubs) Timid also isn't a particularly accurate description as they will, and do, come right into residential neighborhoods here in broad daylight with predictable regularity. When confronted they will usually either retreat (slowly and without any apparent real concern) or climb a tree and wait for the humans to leave. All things considered, I find their temperament to be fascinating.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Black bears-at least here in New England-can get up to 300 lbs. Mind you, that's 300 lbs of animal, not cushy, soft human :). ...

300 pounds is about the average size here in Florida; they have gotten over 600 pounds.

That said, I like the way you say it's not 300 pounds (or whatever) of "cushy, soft human." It's been accurately said that when bears go into hibernation in the Fall, they're fat and strong. And when they wake up in the Spring, they're skinny and strong.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE