understanding the landscape and weather when tracking.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pilotlight

Jan 7, 2012
Northumberland
I'm interested on folks' opinions on the weather and landscape when out tracking and watching wildlife.

I'll give 2 examples I have noticed.

In a field close to me I saw 4 roe deer feeding one morning on the new crop shoots. As I had the dogs with me, as usual, the deer saw us and ran off. I would have guessed, directly away into some woodland behind, but they actually headed into the field towards me, then veered right, with a minute they had disappeared from sight. I then realised that the field which looked flat was not but dropped away enough for them not to beseen from where I was standing. they then headed down the field, behind a hedge and out of sight for most of the time.

I thought this remarkable foresight by the deer as they knew the best direction to go to ensure safety.

the second I've noticed is when the cold wind is blowing animals will congregate where the warmth is. As with the deer above they were sheltered from a cold westerly, by the woods, and they will only feed in this field durring daylight when the wind is in the west.

small birds, prone to the cold, will seek out gullies and sunny spots to feed in this winter weather. so now if I want to observe long tail tits, the best time is late afternoon and if it's sunny but cold, down in a south facing copse of trees, that is sheltered for them.

anyway just 2 examples and I hope I made myself clear, of looking at the landscape and weather and trying to predict where wildlife maybe.

any more?

Last edited:

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Yes indeed That's all part of what used to be country knowledge or field craft.
If you were a deer or a small bird would you be comfortable sorting out an escape route only after danger shows itself or be happy to be uncomfortable sat in a cold wind when you could be sheltered a couple of trees away.
When deer stalking it's not uncommon to find a normal hot spot empty because the wind is coming from a different direction and it's too cold there. The deer might be the other side of the wood. The trick is knowing when you get out of the car where the deer will be.
Sounds easy but it's so not!
Observation and questioning is the way to get answers and it can take years...

Best of luck

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE