Underblanket query?

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
I made my own underblanket and love it. I want to get out this winter and camp in the snow and cold when it is dipping into the minuses. But the temp rating on the sleeping bag i made the UB from is rated at maybe 12 Celsius. My sleeping bag which i use as a top quilt is rated at 8 Celsius. So my question is does the two combined allow me to use my hammock set up in much lower temps or should i go and shell out for a snug pack one for these kinds of temperatures.
Thanks
Jacob

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I'd say "no" too. Don't know about the Snugpak one but I've just bought a down one off eBay (brand new, the guy makes them) and will hopefully be using it this weekend

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
What hammock have you got? I use a bridge hammock with my down mat and then for over kill a 3/4 down uq, then with a good mountain equipment down sleeping bag used as a top quilt I'm toasty warm.

But it depends on what setup you have, you could have ago at making a DIY cacoon affair to keep the heat in?

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
I have a tenth wonder black hornet. So really I need to get a proper top quilt and underquilt setup. Might not be this winter then as i haven't really got the funds.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I dont see why you cant add a cheap inflatable mat to boost the UQ's performance. A dutch army blanket over your bag (unless you want to go user light, then a bivi) and you are away.

As with anything though, try it out in the daytime for a few hours and see what the comfort level is. People manage to get along fine without spending big bucks!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE