Under Quilt

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Today dawned with a mass of snow being dumped on most of the UK, but thankfully the postman managed to make all of his deliveries prior to the worst of the weather setting in and delivered a package to me containing 5m of rip stop nylon, so at least i knew what i was doing today, it's not what i had planned, but the weather put paid to that and rather than mope around, it was time to make my long awaited under-quilt, ok i could have gone for a bimble, but im going to do that tomorrow after all the snow has had a good freeze on it and fingers crossed, there will also be a few tracks left by the wild life to look at and study as well.

The quilt is 45 inches wide and 60 inches long and is filled with duck down from an old duvet that i have been hanging on to for just this purpose, so armed with a fresh supply of ripstop, some tape to make the channels on the ends and a good supply of tea & coffee, i set to and got the thing made.

DSCN1776.jpg

The funniest bit was filling the channels i had sewn in to the quilt with the duck down, just a word of advice peeps, don't do this job in the dining room where there is a deep pile carpet, i had piles of feathers everywhere and a covering of down lay on almost every surface, including me, still it was nothing the hoover couldn't deal with, the quilt ended up with a loft of approx three inches.

Since i took the picture above, i have added the suspension tapes to each corner, but i still have to add a few loops on each side to take a cord, should i wish to use the quilt as a free sliding version, rather than the fixed position im going to try first.

It was great fun making it, and i suppose from start to finish, including a lunch break it took seven hours to make, i know one thing though, i shouldn't be cold at all with this underneath my hammock.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
cheers chaps, just got to get out there now and get it set up on the hammock, next week hopefully:)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nicely done Mark, looks just the job

I've heard it's a good idea to stuff quilts in the shower, dry of course :)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Nicely done Mark, looks just the job

I've heard it's a good idea to stuff quilts in the shower, dry of course :)

doh, why didnt i think of that, much more fun to see the look on peoples faces when they see the state of the deep pile though:lmao:

Will let you know how it goes with it Rich, ive just added the elasticated draw cords to each end, now i need to add the suspension, but think that will be considerably easier to do with the Blackbird set up.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It's nice and easy to loop the shockcord on to the gathered bundle at each end of the Blackbird, I've done a little mod with some clips from Mat which I'm trying out next weekend.

A light ripstop weathershield is useful too mate with the down

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
It's nice and easy to loop the shockcord on to the gathered bundle at each end of the Blackbird, I've done a little mod with some clips from Mat which I'm trying out next weekend.

Thanks for the tip Rich, will give that a try.

A light ripstop weather shield is useful too mate with the down

As luck would have it, I made a small sit hammock/gear hammock/weather shield yesterday, although i should have more than enough ripstop left to make a pukka weather shield as well, might do that tomorrow after ive been for a bimble in the snow.

smokyjoe

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2012
london
Nice one mark I really like it, it's so much better to make your own gear sometimes.
How small does it pack down to also does it weigh much, just out of interest?
:)

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
A really good job mate, I've bean thinking about doing this also, I also is interested in knowing how much it packs down to

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Is there a tutorial you could link me to for this? Or did you come up with this yourself?

i just made it up as i went along, i had a rough design in my head to begin with and just went for it, it's not difficult though, just a big rectangular bag with channels sewn into it

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Nice one mark I really like it, it's so much better to make your own gear sometimes.
How small does it pack down to also does it weigh much, just out of interest?

A really good job mate, I've bean thinking about doing this also, I also is interested in knowing how much it packs down to

Cheers chaps, no idea on weight, but it's currently packed away in an Exped Medium dry bag and stands about 16 inches high by about 8 inches wide, i could compress it further if i wanted to, might try that tomorrow but need to get one of my smaller dry bags out of the loft first.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE