Umbellifer ID

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
I hate umbellifers. So many books and websites differ in leaf shape for the same plant. Anyhow, see what you think this is. Dont forget its scale (the flowers are minute).

So far I think it could either be Wild Carrot or Burnet Saxifrage, but it could be neither.

help005.jpg

help006.jpg

help007.jpg

help008.jpg

NOTE: I may not get back to you straight away as im having REAL problems connecting to the site (This is the first time in about 4 hours.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
My suspicion is Fool's Parsley - we have some of this in our garden at the moment. What is typical of Fool's Parsley is the little 'beards' at the base of the flowers. Note that Fool's Parsley is toxic to humans.

But as with all plants, don't trust me: do your own ID. But hopefully this is a clue.

Geoff

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
My suspicion is Fool's Parsley - we have some of this in our garden at the moment. What is typical of Fool's Parsley is the little 'beards' at the base of the flowers. Note that Fool's Parsley is toxic to humans.

But as with all plants, don't trust me: do your own ID. But hopefully this is a clue.

Geoff

Yep, you can tell its fools parsley by the long narrow bracteoles (little leaves under the flower). It should be hairless, I cannot see any hairs on the plant in your photo's..
http://www.british-wild-flowers.co.uk/P-Flowers/Parsley, Fool's.htm
The plant is certainly poisonous and can be fatally so..

I hate umbellifers.
I think the umbellifers are the most facinating family of plants and are certainly my favourites to study. The carrots and parsnips we eat today all originated from the wild variety. Its good fun looking for pignuts early in the season, finding a wild fennel, but then also seeing a hemlock water dropwort and thinking how just a little of that and I would be no more. Once you learn a few basics (that you must stick to), they are pretty easy to id. Its not a huge family..

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
. Once you learn a few basics (that you must stick to), they are pretty easy to id. Its not a huge family..

:notworthy Oh sensei tell me these few basics. I have toiled greatly over the identites of the 40 genera of natives and still can they look the same.

[excuse for wierd post: very heavy rain+kid with arm in cast=cabin fever]

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
:notworthy Oh sensei tell me these few basics. I have toiled greatly over the identites of the 40 genera of natives and still can they look the same.

[excuse for wierd post: very heavy rain+kid with arm in cast=cabin fever]

I agree. I cannot see that there are any basics to learn. It just seems like a matter of memorising each one individualy!!

If I am wrong then please help us poor umbelifer virgins out.

Stu

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
It simply just a case of narrowing them down, but never assuming..
You find the above plant for example, look at the shape and structure of the flower head, the colour of the flowers (if they are yellow, that really narrows it down). If there are seeds out on the plant, use your magnifying lense to study them, plenty of clues there. Time of year is also a factor, cow parsley being one of the early ones out for example. The shape and structure of the leaves, the plant above is a typical umbellifer shape leaf and many others in the family have similar leaves, but many don't, so use that to help you.
Are there hairs on the plant, how tall is the plant, are there spots on the plant, colour of the plant, is it glossy or dull, etc etc.. Like I said, the carrot family is not that big, so it does not take much time to whittle them down. A good guide is essential though..
I say never assume.. This is because there are always those that break the normal rules as I found out here http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28628
Sorry Fi, no quick fix, but they are not that hard to suss so long you give them respect and take a bit of time to rule out what they are not..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE