Ultralight sleeping bag mountain hardwear hyperlamina

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire

There are better performance (and lighter weight) bags on the market for around the same price.

This one weighs 2 3/4 pounds and is only comfort rated to 0C and 'extreme' -6C. Cost £119)

My OEX bag weighs under 2 pounds and is rated comfort at -3C and 'extreme' at -19c and cost £129
https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/oex-helios-ev-hydrodown-300-sleeping-bag-p397795

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
There are better performance (and lighter weight) bags on the market for around the same price.

This one weighs 2 3/4 pounds and is only comfort rated to 0C and 'extreme' -6C. Cost £119)

My OEX bag weighs under 2 pounds and is rated comfort at -3C and 'extreme' at -19c and cost £129
https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/oex-helios-ev-hydrodown-300-sleeping-bag-p397795
To be honest alan if you are after down alan this is also on there site

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product...-spark-sleeping-bag-(long-right-hand)-~-aw18/

Reactions: Alan De Enfield
Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire

That has, for me, a couple of points against :

Price = £200
Shape = It is a 'snug' fit, which for me being already 'snug' means its like a sausage skin.
Temperature rating = Comfort of +2C, Extreme of -2C

Measurements:

- Apparel Fit: Regular-Sleep Bags
- Weight: 1 lb 6 oz / 629 g
- Bag Shape: Performance Mummy Snug Cut
- Bag Loft: 4 in / 10 cm
- Bag Stuff Size: 6 in x 10 in / 15 cm x 25
- T-COMFORT: 36 F / 2 ºC
- T-LIMIT: 28 F / -2 ºC
- Bag Fill Weight: 10.1 oz / 285 g
- Inside Length Regular: 72 in / 183 cm
- Hip Girth Regular: 53 in / 135 cm
- Foot Girth Regular: 38 in / 97 cm
- Shoulder Girth Regular: 59 in / 150 cm

Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
Err long ago did you buy the oem bag alan, was it like last week or something ?

Last year.
Still the same price (£129)

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/oex-he...3&awpid=0&awcr=jkp_CO6L_tPPmuECFcQcGwodUQYKWg

Correction on the temp rating of the Mountain Hardware Phantom.
I misread it - the 'limit' is -2C (not the extreme).
The 'extreme' doesn't seem to be quoted.

So, performance & weight wise it is not far away from the OEX, but it costs £70 more and is a 'slim fit' whilst the OEX is more 'generous'.
The length of the Phantom is 183cm but the OEX is 220cm

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Dont know about the fit as such, but going by the foot width it seems average. When the foot width gets to 24 inches thats the performance cut.

The oex has alot of bad reviews as of late alan, says it no where near lives up to the spec temp. What you really pay for is the fill power 800fp is alot pricier than the 600. But then again on a lightweight bag fill power is is not so much noticable, the ratio of material to insulation is far more equal, only when you get up to heavier warmer bags does the fill make a large weight difference.

Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
Dont know about the fit as such, but going by the foot width it seems average. When the foot width gets to 24 inches thats the performance cut.

The oex has alot of bad reviews as of late alan, says it no where near lives up to the spec temp. What you really pay for is the fill power 800fp is alot pricier than the 600. But then again on a lightweight bag fill power is is not so much noticable, the ratio of material to insulation is far more equal, only when you get up to heavier warmer bags does the fill make a large weight difference.

I think that people who make these 'bad reports' do not understand the European specification they are measured to.

To acheive the rating quoted the test-dummy wears thermals / Track suit and socks - I bet the people complaining of its cold weather performance are just wearing pants.

The Test
The EN/ISO testing protocols were developed in Europe and are a standard for all sleeping bag ratings. The ratings from this test allow users to compare bags that test to this standard and safely choose a bag that suits their adventure.

While there are some incredibly specific requirements for the sleeping bag rating test, it basically involves tucking a sensor-rich, heated manikin into a sleeping bag, and placing them in a cold chamber on a basic foam mat. Each manikin wears a specific base layer, similar to the layer a camper may wear.

As temperatures drop in the cold chamber, corresponding measurements are taken from the manikin. In a nutshell, the test is looking for key benchmarks like when the manikin’s heat accumulates in the sleeping bag, the range where its temperature remains relatively steady, the point at which heat begins to be lost, and then when it is lost at a rate where the bag is deemed no longer effective, and continued use would put the user at risk. The results are tallied and the ranges of Comfort, Transition and Risk are established, along with the defining limits of these ranges, Comfort, Limit and Extreme, respectively. For the purpose of these measurements, a "standard man" is assumed to be 25 years old, with a height of 1.73 m and a weight of 73 kg; a "standard woman" is assumed to be 25 years old, with a height of 1.60 m and a weight of 60 kg.

Again, what many people don't appreciate is that in 'the real world" what they have underneath them impacts on the bag performance (cold earth will rapidly drain heat away from the sleeping bag).A sleeping bag will only perform to its rated specification if the insulation beneath it has an R-factor of 4 (or more)
A foam pad will provide much more insulation that an 'air' mattress.
Many sleeping mats (and bundles of ferns etc) achieve nowhere near this figure.

A person heavier / taller than the 'test dummy' will compress the filling reducing its effectiveness are you a 'cold sleeper' or a 'warm sleeper', do you sleep on your back or your side, male or female ? - there are many aspects of sleeping bag choice to be considered.

No one bag will suit everyone - fortunately we are not all the same.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The British made olive green Snugpak Special Forces 1 and 2 with its bivvy bag (340g) are in direct competition with that, but fitted out with a NATO stock number, what usually is a long life guarantee.

The "Robens Couloir" series is a very interesting offer too, especially if we look at the lightest summer sleeping bag "Couloir 250".

An experienced bushcrafter will easily see the differences in the photos and lists.

To the beginner I recommend:
Buy british! Buy military equipment!

Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
The British made olive green Snugpak Special Forces 1 and 2 with its bivvy bag (340g) are in direct competition with that, but fitted out with a NATO stock number, what usually is a long life guarantee.

The "Robens Couloir" series is a very interesting offer too, especially if we look at the lightest summer sleeping bag "Couloir 250".

An experienced bushcrafter will easily see the differences in the photos and lists.

To the beginner I recommend:
Buy british! Buy military equipment!

To coin a phrase "never mind the quality feel the weight"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE