Ullswater

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
A few pics from the sunny bits of a wee impromptu wander with Shewie and The Cumbrian. Felt all adventurous, paddling in another country for the first time and all. :)

We got the works today. Sun, rain, hail, wind, calm...... the only certain thing was that it was going to be uncertain.
Had a choppy crossing at the end. For a second I thought I was going to ditch it right beside a passing cruise boat.

ULLS_01.jpg

ULLS_02.jpg

ULLS_03.jpg

ULLS_04.jpg

ULLS_05.jpg

ULLS_06.jpg

Had to laugh at the colour coordination. :D

ULLS_07.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice pics Josh

I never realised you were being so busy with the camera to be honest.

No pics from me apart from a couple of the journey over Kirkstone Pass in the early sun, too busy trying to stay upright all day

Shame about the stupidly gusty wind this afternoon, another time.

Good to finally meet you Michael

EDIT:

2 hours 50 minutes it took me to do the 92 miles home :(

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Nice one Josh.

Here's a pic of you and Rich in your Packs:

P5030115.jpg

At least it wasn't just me who didn't take any pics on the crossing. About halfway across, Li'l Cumbrian asked me: "Daddy, is this like surfing?", to which I replied: "yes, this is exactly like surfing".

I was blown further down the lake than Josh and Rich, and as it was too windy to paddle, I had to track the canoe back up to them with Evan in the canoe. He took these pics of me:

P5030119.jpg

P5030124.jpg

It was good to meet you two, hopefully we'll get to paddle together again on a less dramatic day.

Cheers, Michael.

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
Great pictures:D and you guys have OT Pack canoes, how cool is that:cool: Such a great little boat. Last summer I traded mine towards another great boat, a Drascombe Dabber, which I have yet to restore and sail. BIG PLANS, little buget. I strongly believe that the smaller the boat, the more you'll use it. I thought I knew this but had to learn the hard way. Gee whiz I really miss that canoe, highly recommend em'.

That afternoon wind thing can really be a bear. One time I was lining my OT Pack canoe against a real nasty headwind, a gust hit that lifted the canoe clear out of the water. I've found that in some areas the wind is heading one direction early in the AM (downlake/river) and shifts before noon and blows the other way; the timing to take advantage of this often requires a ridiculously early start. I'm curious if you guys notice similar wind effects where you paddle.

Sails for A Dabber cost about as much as a Pack canoe. what to what to what to do? It's one of those things I wish I knew, why the f?!# did I sell that canoe?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That afternoon wind thing can really be a bear. One time I was lining my OT Pack canoe against a real nasty headwind, a gust hit that lifted the canoe clear out of the water. I've found that in some areas the wind is heading one direction early in the AM (downlake/river) and shifts before noon and blows the other way; the timing to take advantage of this often requires a ridiculously early start. I'm curious if you guys notice similar wind effects where you paddle.

The met office forecast had predicted the wind would swing right round about midday but it never materialised. Instead we just got blown a little further downwind which made the return a complete nightmare.

All good fun though :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE