Uk weapons and bushcraft laws?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hello,
im new to the forum.
as i am going to travel to the uk, i would like to know your laws.

as far as i have recognized, locking folding knifes are bad, right?
how is it with fixed utility knifes like a mora?

how is your fishing law? do i need a license to catch a fish or not?
and hunting? many year ago, a friend told me that you have more rabbits than you could eat, and tzhat htey can be shot with airguns.
i do not have an airgun, and would not buy one, but like archery in the outdoors.
is roving okay in great britain? or is it a risk to travel with my bow?

how about camping in the woods and making fire? in germany, no open light or fire is legal from early spring till late fall, due to possibilitys of wood fires.
making a fire for barbeque in a sealed pan or container, is okay.

it would be fine to get imformations from you locals.
and if its in the wrong part of the forum, feel free to move the tread

thx alot
Phil

udamiano

On a new journey
Hi Warbeast,

The only knife you are allowed to carry is a NON-LOCKING, folding pen-knife type with a blade length no more than 3inches (75mm).
Be careful as multitools with locking blades also come under the law.

anything other than this you must be able to show 'Good cause' as to why you are carrying it.

You are not allowed to bow hunt.

and using air guns must only be on private land with the owners consent, and away from public areas.

Yes you need a license to fish in the UK.

We also have a number of laws on what you are allowed to hunt at different times of the year, although Rabbits are fine throughout the year.

Its best to contact the British Consul in Berlin before you bring any guns into the UK as we have very severe penalties for illegal transport of weapons over our boarders. They will be able to advise you better and issue you with any permits you may need.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
hm, okay, the 3 inch rule i noticed, and that would be okay,
for edc it would be my 15year old swiss army knife, so no problem there.
when going archery or camping i like to carry my fixed mora, for making firesticks and tent sticks, stuff like that

as i could explain why, it is okay then, right?

how about the camping or archery part,
would be senseless to have a reason, when the main acitvity is the problem :)

udamiano

On a new journey
Its also illegal to camp on land that you don't have permission to be on, this includes National parks in England, and Wales, but not Scotland who have a much better set of rules, and a sensible approach IMHO.

As for the Mora, its a tricky one.. Its best not to have ANY knife on open view, and as for your explanation, it would depend on the police officer, however from the letter of the law, then No, as your SAK could do the job and be legal.

Some of the makers on here can tell you much better than myself the UK knife law.

Last edited:

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Hi

The difference between a UK fishing licence and a german one is that there is no exam in the Uk you just pay your £20 or what ever it is and you have the licence

Hi

The difference between a UK fishing licence and a german one is that there is no exam in the Uk you just pay your £20 or what ever it is and you have the licence

okay,
is it bound to an area or for any fishable place?

@udamiano
yes, i agree, i am just more used to my mora and like a fixed blade more, guess it stay home then.
hm, no wild camping, so no chance to travel trough the country while sleeping outdoors? thats sad.
btw, camping means tent or shelter? in germany its not legal to use a normal tent in the woods, but sleeping on the ground, biwi style is okay.

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
just to update the info a bit you only need a fishing license to fish for coarse and game fish in england and wales but not sea fish ! i think you do not need any licence in scotland but will need to buy a daily fishing permit off the owner of the fishing rights of where you want to fish, this also applies for england and wales as well as a rod licence, although there are many free fishing venues . The best way is to just ask anybody fishing where you want to fish . I dont know about the laws about fishing in northern ireland or eire but perhaps some of our irish friends will let you know. p.s there are different lengths of licence from a day one to the full year one, just ask in any angling shop or post office for the prices.

cheers andrew.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Regarding the fishing license,you mentioned different length licenses (daily to annual) Is there a difference between a resident's license and a visitor's license?

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Regarding the camping; it isn't quite as strict as udamiano is saying. The law says you can't camp except on private land with permission or at registered campsites.

However, if you are discrete and well away from houses, you can camp pretty much anywhere.

So up on the tops of moors and hills in areas like the lake district, you can camp. Just don't go lighting fires or erecting a huge orange tent. I used to use an olive-green bivii bag for open country or a hammock if I was camping in a wood somewhere.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE