uk issue poncho cam net

hilltop

Banned
May 14, 2006
edge of the peak district
i have been stupid enough to part with my uk forces issue poncho cam net (airbourne ) . i am regreting this now, anyone got one for sale or know where a can get one, this is a very rare item, i dont hold out much hope, please help.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Hiiltop,

It took me ages to find one mate, finally got one on evilbay. I asked around and I got told that they don't issue them anymore, good luck in your search.

Brian

hilltop

Banned
May 14, 2006
Brian said:
Hiiltop,

It took me ages to find one mate, finally got one on evilbay. I asked around and I got told that they don't issue them anymore, good luck in your search.

Brian
cheers brian, i know they are very rare, i got issued mine in 1985, i will keep an eye on ebay,

hilltop

Banned
May 14, 2006
cheers nemasis, but it was a net about 3inch squares, it had great cam hessian and the like fastened to it and it was the same size as an issue poncho opened, it had pres studs round the edge so it fastened to the poncho, like i said it was only issued to paratroops and special forces so i dont think they made very many.the stuff mentioned on here might make some good covers tho, thanx all for your ideas,

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
I know what your talking about, we used them and larger ones, we called them sand nets, i would not have a clue where you would get them from though although they must be available as i have seen reenactment people using them recently.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
it sounds like a good idea,
and i'm almost sold on the idea for subdued camping! :)

it sounds like quite an easy thing to make, is it?

or could you not "make do" with a section of vehicle camo net?

how did the poppers work?

and when wet does it weigh alot? or misshape the poncho?

does it roll up with the poncho, is it bulky/heavy?

last question,

is it camo you would add to the standard 58 green poncho or on the more recent dpm basha(with the handles)?

i'm quite suprised i've never heard of one, i've done alot of web searching on ponchos and tarps over the years! :confused:

hilltop

Banned
May 14, 2006
it was made for 58 poncho, weighed nothing, fitted in a 58 water bottle pouch, never rolled it up with the poncho, it wasnt bulky, and it snapped onto poncho studs, was a fantastic bit of kit, it was airbourne and s/f issue only, so i dont think many will have heard of them, very rare, not standard issue,

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
that explanes it! :(

still like the idea!

i might have to try to make one, the poppers might be a problem though!

i might be imagining it but in my way back in Combat and survival magazine i'm guessing 1991-2 onwardsi'm sure i saw a lengthy article on a civilian "SBS" course you could go on.
easy to remember if you looked at the guys bergen with a Klepper canoe on the back of it (folded but still huge like a horizontal stepladder).
anyway they showed a poncho set up "out of cover".
it was covered in a camo net that was about the same size the way you discribed, you could not see any detail so wether it was the same net i don't know but very effective all the same.
prehaps if it was issued to s/f then they might have had some kicking about in thier stores, is it worth checking out surplus stores near or with connections with royal marine depots?

i'll keep my eye out!

hilltop

Banned
May 14, 2006
cheers mate, but i have even sniffed round my mates still serving, 2 of them are at airbourne depot as instructors now, even they cant source any, lol, looks like they have gained collector status,

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
There's a guy in my squadron who was previously at 9 Sqn RE, he may know where to get hold of something like that. He has a string net on his combat helmet made by a guy who works in a museum back in Aldershot, made on an old machine used during the War, maybe he has something similar. I'm back to work next week so I'll ask him.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE