Tying a Transport Knot (securing a load)

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
Working effectively with rope is on skill that separates the men from the boys so to speak. Of course everyone already thinks they know what they are doing with a rope, but when you run across a true professional it pays to pay attention. Yesterday I had such an opportunity. I had hired a truck to move an industrial kitchen and 44 mattresses to another property.

Irmani, my trucker, was nice enough to allow me to film him tying down the load and he explained what he was doing. I added in subtitles in English for those who don’t speak Portuguese. The knot is called the “Paulista” here in Brazil (Short for São Paulo). It allows you to pull down hard against a heavy load, it doesn’t come loose with vibration, and it is very easy to untie as it won’t bind as the load shifts against it. It is a very useful knot to know if you need to move anything large or loaded. It would come in handy in an emergency or on any other moving day. Mac

img3740tc1.jpg

Tying a Transport Knot (2:06 min)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Working effectively with rope is on skill that separates the men from the boys so to speak. Of course everyone already thinks they know what they are doing with a rope, but when you run across a true professional it pays to pay attention. Yesterday I had such an opportunity. I had hired a truck to move an industrial kitchen and 44 mattresses to another property.

Irmani, my trucker, was nice enough to allow me to film him tying down the load and he explained what he was doing. I added in subtitles in English for those who don’t speak Portuguese. The knot is called the “Paulista” here in Brazil (Short for São Paulo). It allows you to pull down hard against a heavy load, it doesn’t come loose with vibration, and it is very easy to untie as it won’t bind as the load shifts against it. It is a very useful knot to know if you need to move anything large or loaded. It would come in handy in an emergency or on any other moving day. Mac

Tying a Transport Knot (2:06 min)

Where I come from it's called a dolly knot or a truckers hitch. one of the most useful 'vertical' knots I know

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I've heard it referred to by several different names so I went with a generic name in the title. It's a good one to keep in your head as it really comes in handy and can save you alot of grief. Mac

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
[Runs off to workshop to have a play.]

[Runs back from workshop.]

Thanks for posting that. I use the Truckers hitch from time to time, and that variation on the theme looks a little quicker. I'll have to try it in a real application, but it seems more stable.

Cheers.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
A very good and handy knot, I use these everyday at work to secure machines onto trailers, I know it as a wagoners hitch, just thought I'd throw in another name for ya:D

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
wagoners hitch...

That's going back a bit. It is also called The Waco Hitch in the US. I'm waiting to hear from Oz where its probably the "strap down your Mother-in-law hitch". Mac

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
What ever name you call it (I know it as the truckers hitch or lorrymans hitch), it is one of my favourite knots (though its not a knot..)

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Nice knot. It looks like a variant of the trucker's hitch I know as the rope passes through a fixed loop, rather than forming a loop to slip over a rope hook.

Did the princess have a good night's sleep? :D

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Pict,

Its called a "Truckie's Hitch" in Western Australia.

I dare not say whether that is the same in the East. We are two different countries actually:)

I was taught this knot as a "Trucker's Hitch" in NSW... A very useful knot to know.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE