Two tent choices (MSR and Nordisk) and... really, how important is Hydrostatic Head?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Father Jake

Oct 22, 2010
North Yorkshire
I've been looking at two tents.

The first is the MSR Elixir 2. I really like the geodesic style design, the space inside and the quality usually associated with this brand. I also like being able to remove half of the outer when the weather is warmer. Nice star gazing views. My only, proper niggle is the Hydrostatic Head of the fly sheet. It's 68D ripstop polyester 1500mm Polyurethane and DWR. (I know this isn't an ideal HH but every single one of the reviews I've read (I've read loads from multiple sources) have said it's held up very well in all conditions, never letting in water, including storms). This tent weighs 2.6kg and I've seen this for £180.

The second is the Nordisk Halland PU 2. From their website - Diamond embossed rip stop look made of 100% Polyester with a PU coating, 68D yarn and a thread count of 185. This robust fabric weighs only 64 g/m2, and has a 3.000 mm water column. It's a tunnel tent. This tent weighs 3.0kg and I've seen this for £160.

I will be using it almost exclusively for wild camping (possibly multi day treks) for three seasons in the UK (obviously doesn't guarantee good weather) but may possibly take it further afield.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jake

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Lay them on the ground, set them up and get in, out of the weather.
Which one seems easiet to put up? Easier to get in and out of? Gear storage + people?
Personally, I think I'd find the Nordisk tunnel easier for me to set up.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I had a MSR Hubba Hubba NX which is close to the Elixir in design. I wouldn't use it without a footprint, the fabric was good but so thin, so very thin.

I loved the room inside, it felt really airy and open and was a very nice place to be.
I loved the tiny pack size.
I hated that it pitched inner then outer when it was raining... which has been most times I have been out in recent years.

I don't know if the fabric is the same or not but I had a few seriously wet nights and it laughed at the rain. Official HH or not, it had no problem.

Since moved to a Hilleberg as the whole pitching the inner first was too much for me in British weather.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Ultralight outdoor gear sell the Elixir at £204 with footprint. That might be cheaper than buying it separately.

I like the MSR tents, they look good and have a good reputation for quality. IIRC Nordisk changed their name a few years ago. They tend to do two variations of each tent, a light one with sil nylon and a heavier version with pu coating. Decent design but IMHO there's usually better options around. Quite a few tunnel tents around and 3kg isn't light.

I would be put off by the low HH but there's more to it than that. I once asked the same sort of question on a forum and got told that. Factors include the method of coating, construction, quality, etc. also come together to affect the water resistance.

I think one very knowledgeable poster who I trust for the technical aspects of outdoor equipment design and performance once said a good coating at 1500mm HH can resist rain when a 3000mm HH tent leaks.

I believe the likes of MSR, big Agnes and a few other UL tent brands are going to perform even though their fabric only meets 1500mm HH according to the test. They've got a very good reputation.

Father Jake

Oct 22, 2010
North Yorkshire
That's interesting because the MSR hubba hubba is rated at 1200mm HH which is less than the elixir but it does have a different type of coating.

I love that the elixir has porches either side of the sleeping area which, for me is better that one, larger porch at the end of the tent.

How is the HH measured then? Before or after the coating?

Thanks for all of the replies

Jake

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
HH is measured as you buy it. So with the coating. Else it would be around 0 probably :p. Minimum required for being "waterproof" is 800mm, which from what i read, is about the same as a light/medium rain.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I think you really need to judge msr by the user reviews. If what I've been told by knowledgeable forum members (other forum in this case) coatings are very much affected by how well they were applied. I've also read blogs on long term durability tests on sil-nylon. HH drops with use, UV perhaps. Better coatings last a lot better. So one 3000mm fabric could end up with a lot lower HH after very little use than the msr. I guess it's longevity of the water resistance that's needed in tents. Any good long term reviews for those tents?

BTW at 1200 or 1500mm HH it's waterproof enough. Does it really add anything being double that? Twice as waterproof as waterproof? Doesn't mean much i reckon. Lifetime of the waterproofing does matter which is why I'd look at long term tests. The U.S. backpacking light site is very good but there's a paywall for the best stuff.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
BTW at 1200 or 1500mm HH it's waterproof enough. Does it really add anything being double that? Twice as waterproof as waterproof? Doesn't mean much i reckon. Lifetime of the waterproofing does matter which is why I'd look at long term tests. The U.S. backpacking light site is very good but there's a paywall for the best stuff.

While technically true, one might think differently if someone is using a tent in high speed winds driven rain in open country ;).

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
I'll chuck another make in to the mix Exped.

I was on the look out for a light'ish weight backpacking tent last year.. i happened to come across one for sale on ebay a nearly new Exped Mira 2 that fitted the criteria i was looking for. A similar design to the MSR Hubba Hubba tents.. its inner pitch first thou.. ideal for spring - autumn wildcamping.. which i bought it for. ;)

The first time i took it out it lashed down most of the night.. and i'd pitched it wrong by not pegging the inner out properly.. stayed dry inside luckily.. but woke up with the fly touching the inner. :rolleyes:

I don't know much regarding the HH rating on tents.. but i think if your buying a reputable brand you should be ok as there's plenty of user reviews on line.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
My memories hiking and "wild" camping in the western UK (Snowdonia and the Lakes) were of a lot of rain. SO an outer first or all in one pitch should be high on the list. If you are "wild" camping,you pitch late and fold early,so living room is not a priority. If you will be multi day trekking, then weight is a major factor. IMO this points right at the Zephros 1 or 2. lightweight,good reviews, and less expensive than the ones you cite (which are heavy IMO).

rsmith

Jul 15, 2010
Bristol
I looked at the same tents but then discovered the luxe Trail Peak - it has double porches, is very light, and is PU nylon at 1500mm HH, plus one tee pee pole - so easy to put up in a few mins and LOADS of space - I'm 6'2 and could stretch. It does pitch inner first though but cost @150 from backpacking light uk - I mention because they are the only uk supplier.
I took one of these on an 8 day canoe trip in Sweden this summer - was brilliant. Have taken hiking too on Dartmoor - very stable. Would have a look at these asi think it blows the nordisk and msr tents away. Hilleberg still the best imho - but sooooo expensive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
If you're looking at zephyros then check out terra nova website. They've got a 7 day factory sale on. Seconds and grade A tents cheap. Zephyros 1 i think £88 2 man version i think was £100. Good prices i think.

Triplestitch

Jan 25, 2014
New Caledonia
I have an MSR Mutha Hubba NX that I've been using for a couple of years. Never had any problems with rain getting in, even in some pretty serious storms; if you buy the groundcloth, it can be pitched outer first. The material is very thin though, so I do worry about abrasion. Overall I trust MSRs to be waterproof regardless of the rating.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE