two diy pocket knife sheaths

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rickety-root

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2006
leicester
here are a couple of leather pocket knife sheaths that I had a go at recently. The first one is a neck sheath for a #8 opinel. its thanks to the very generous templates sent to me by Bent-Stick - thanks again for those. Probably not as good as the original but not bad for a first attempt, I think. I don't have a fire steel yet to put in the side, nor have I got a thread or thong for the neck fitting. It hasn't been finished round the edge yet, either and I don't have a stitch marker or groover yet - I'm hoping my leather work will look more professional when I have some proper tools. I did have a real game getting the blasted knife back out once I had wet moulded it as it was such a tight fit. Also, I found the cling film had leaked and the handle had swollen so much I couldn't get the knife to open again - though it's okay now that it's dried back out.

the second one is for a SAK which I like to carry in my pocket. I was hoping for something that didn't make the knife too bulky, so had to fit snug, and would stop me from scratching up the scales too much. It was a bit tricky since, although you can't see from the picture, the bottom side gusset has a rounded bottom which meant some difficult inverted stitching.

IMGP0749.jpg

IMGP0751.jpg

IMGP0753.jpg

IMGP0755.jpg

Overal I'm fairly pleased but look forward to getting the right tools.

D

Deleted member 4605

Very nice (although could do with smaller pictures! :)). Well done.

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
That's the first time I've seen your Swiss army one, very nice. Make sure you keep your templates so you can pass them on to me.

rickety-root

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2006
leicester
Yes I did use pre-dyed leather, it was some that I was given and beggars can't be choosers and all that. Didn't make too much difference to mine since, without an edge scorer I don't reveal anything that's under the surface anyway.

Ju, sorry, i didn't use a template, just kind of made it up as i went along.

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
I really like the one for your swiss army knife. Is it designed to be carried in your pocket or on a belt ?

Nice pictures btw !

rickety-root

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2006
leicester
Originally, since I hate having things that weigh down or bulge my pockets, I intended for it to fit onto my belt and i was going to put a loop on it so that it fitted horizontally, along the belt so that it didn't hang down and I could wear it without it being conspicuous - I could even have worn it behind my back and under a jacket in that way. I changed my mind as I was constructing it and it fits really snugly and without any problems into my pocket - even my suit trouser pocket that I wear to work. One thing I would change if doing it again is the fastening - the wrap around and tie type is all very well but it can work itself loose in my pocket. I wish I had made two eyelt holes side by side and then could hav had a single thong looped through both and simply tied it shut. Oh, well, you live and learn - I dare say it wont be the last one I make.

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
Yes that'd been a good idea.

I was wondering, couldn't you use the leather strap as a mean to attach it to your belt (If it's long enough) ? It might be a little loose and move as you walk though.

I like the idea of a sheath for folding knives that are small enough to be carried in your pocket. I can hear my victorinox folder hit my keys when I walk... It would be a great way to protect it from other metalic objects in my pocket.

2 thumbs up !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE