Two classic German folders on a budget

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jollo74

Aug 9, 2010
Germany
Hi folks,
I thought that maybe a review of two classic (old-fashioned :rolleyes:) German folding knives, made and bought in Germany's "blade city" Solingen, would be of interest to you :D

BILD0537.jpg

BILD0538.jpg

BILD0539.jpg

The top knife is a Mercator knife from the company OTTER-Messer GmbH in Solingen (www.otter-messer.de). The design of the knife goes way back to 1867 and has remained almost unchanged since then. It was already used by soldiers of the German Emperor Wilhelm II.
It's a lock-back knife with a 9 cm (3.5") long and 2.5 mm thick drop-point blade out of C75 carbon steel and 20 cm (8") overall length. The handle is an iron mono block construction with black varnish. My version also a gold-coloured stamping of a cat and the type number "K55K".

It is not a sophisticated knife and the fit and finish is quite rustic. However, it's thin profile (6.5 mm thick) and light weight makes it easy and comfortable to carry in your pocket. The steel of the tapered blade is great and takes a very fine and very sharp edge.

It's a classic and priced at around 20 EUR IMO you get great value for your money. It now lives in my working jeans’ front pocket when I’m working on my little farm or being outside with the dogs, horses or sheep :D.

The second knife (at the bottom) is a slip-joint "Barlow knife" from the company Friedrich Olbertz GmbH (www.pocketknives.de), also located in Solingen and almost next door to OTTER-Messer. It has a 7 cm (2.8") long and 2 mm thick (at the base but strongly tapered towards the tip) clip-point carbon steel blade. The overall length is 16 cm (6.3"). The handle has palisander scales and nickel silver bolster. Also here the fit and finish isn’t perfect. When I visited them in Solingen I picked the knife I liked best (concentrating on a strong spring and centred blade) and all of them hat small imperfections. But I’m more than happy to live with them, especially for the unbelievable price of around 25 EUR :cool:!

What can I say: I just love it :D and it has displaced the SAK as my non-farm EDC knife. The thin and shaving sharp blade cuts paper, apples, sausages, etc. and is always ready for more ;). And I think it’s a beauty too.

Both companies are small, family-run businesses, manufacturing their knives for some generations in Solingen. I like it that there are still some of these companies around and that the old and amiable tradition of knife-making in Germany still exists (and no, I’m not in any way connected to them or get money or rebates for promoting them!).

Thanks for looking
Jörg

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Very nice indeed.

I note Mors Kochanski recommended knives from only three towns: Solingen, Sheffield and Mora.

I must get a Solingen-made pocket knife.

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
I have been admiring the Mercator knife, and this morning, I have come into work, and my colleague gave me a bunch of knives, one of which is a Mercator!

Lucky Me.

Magentus

jollo74

Aug 9, 2010
Germany
I have been admiring the Mercator knife, and this morning, I have come into work, and my colleague gave me a bunch of knives, one of which is a Mercator!

Lucky Me.

Magentus
That's brilliant - nice colleague you're having there:cool:!

My Mercator has been getting a lot of use over the Easter break, both for light work like picknicking and barbecueing and harder work on the farm like setting up & repairing fences. It really is a simple and effective tool.

One small modding tip: I've used double-faced adhesive tape to stick a strip of bicycle inner tube where the blade rests on the inside of the handle (does this make sense:confused:). This way the whole cutting edge stays sharp (and boy, does this knife get sharp :eek:!).

Cheers
Jörg

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
have been admiring the Mercator knife, and this morning, I have come into work, and my colleague gave me a bunch of knives, one of which is a Mercator!

When I got home and had a proper look, the 'Mercator' is in fact a really bad copy which moves all over the place and refuses to take any kind of edge. Never mind. The other knives he gave me were a small Mora which is now shaving sharp and belongs to my daughter and a small 'Sabre' lock back which I gave to my wife, so 2 out of 3 isn't bad.

I'd still like a Mercator though.

Magentus

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
One small modding tip: I've used double-faced adhesive tape to stick a strip of bicycle inner tube where the blade rests on the inside of the handle (does this make sense). This way the whole cutting edge stays sharp (and boy, does this knife get sharp !).

Do you mean where the blade rests inside the handle when it's closed? Sounds like a good idea.

Magentus

Last edited:

jollo74

Aug 9, 2010
Germany
Magentus said:
When I got home and had a proper look, the 'Mercator' is in fact a really bad copy which moves all over the place and refuses to take any kind of edge.
Maybe its a beat-up Mercator with a stainless steel blade? There is a stainless steel version still available but I wouldn't recommend it as IMO the C75 carbon steel is much better. Could you post a pic?

Magentus said:
Do you mean where the blade rests inside the handle when it's closed? Sounds like a good idea.
Yep :D.

Magentus said:
I'd still like a Mercator though.
Why don't you try and contact them directly? You can find the contact details (phone or email) on their website www.otter-messer.de (under "Kontakt"). If you need help drop me a PM.

Cheers
Jörg

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Hi Jorg - here's a picture, obviously it's the top one. The only writing on the blade is 'Rostfrei' and all the Mercators I've seen have 'Mercator'.

S6300309.jpg

Why don't you try and contact them directly? You can find the contact details (phone or email) on their website www.otter-messer.de (under "Kontakt"). If you need help drop me a PM.

Thanks for the offer of your help - I don't need another knife, but if one fell in my lap I wouldn't say no - I'm sure I'll come across one one of these days.

Cheers, Magentus

jollo74

Aug 9, 2010
Germany
Thanks for posting the pic - that really looks like a copy :(: The "cat stamping" is wrong as are the rivets. And the blade should be stamped with "Mercator" too.

Magentus said:
I don't need another knife
Oh well, I don't need any more knives either - but this doesn't seem to keep me from buying more and more sharp & shiny stuff :rolleyes::lmao:...

Cheers
Jörg

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
[/QUOTE]Oh well, I don't need any more knives either - but this doesn't seem to keep me from buying more and more sharp & shiny stuff ...

[/QUOTE]
LOL- My name is.............and I'm a knifeaholic ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE