Twisted fire starter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
Hello all
Well I’m just wondering what type of wood or combinations of wood you all prefer when using a hand drill to make fire.
The one I’ve had most success with is an Elder hearth and spindle. I’ve tried burdock without success and have some teasel to try.
Any tips or hints would be appreciated

Cheers
Den :p

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
elder hand drill and willow board works for me , burnt a hazel drill in the other day but havnt got round to trying it out yet

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
al said:
elder hand drill and willow board works for me , burnt a hazel drill in the other day but havnt got round to trying it out yet

al
Is that for a hand drill? I've used hazel as a spindle for the bow drill on a ivy hearth,which has got to be one of my favorites.

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
yes its for a handrilll,just tried it funnily enough and not much luck,stacks of smoke though so its probably down to me being tired out (my son is teething for england) although the dust isnt sustaining itself but im sure theres a reason for that that one of the old hands can point out, i use hazel for the drill on a bow drill too and it rocks

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
my daughter found the piece i`m trying for the handrill so the pressuer is one on this one :)

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
al said:
yes its for a handrilll,just tried it funnily enough and not much luck,stacks of smoke though so its probably down to me being tired out (my son is teething for england) although the dust isnt sustaining itself but im sure theres a reason for that that one of the old hands can point out, i use hazel for the drill on a bow drill too and it rocks
What color and consistency is the dust you are getting?

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
the right colour :wink: medium brown turning to dark and its down to me not giving it enough,oh sleep why does thou evade my embrace :banghead:

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
having said that,i know i can do it so its quite nice to fail and smugly look at the drill and say " well i`ll just pop off and get me some elder then and use you as kindling" :drillserg

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Ivy is a great wood to use as a hearth as its very quick to get going. I've just made up about 10 of them for a childrens playscheme I'm teaching at this summer.... most children can get them smoking within no time at all (under 1 min) using a bow drill..... unlike some woods I've tried.

:)
Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE