Tuvaa or girdle

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Okay, I'm Scot's, I cook on a cast iron girdle.........it even says so on the bottom of it :rolleyes:
I use it like this recipe here
http://www.history.uk.com/recipes/index.php?archive=23

However, mine is nearly 40cms diam and weighs a couple of kilos, so isn't something I want to lugg around much :(
I found this link to a Tuvaa, a metal plate that Indian women use to cook chapattis.

https://sslrelay.com/www.s98261916...._Chappatti%2BPan+=28Tuvaa=29+=28200014=29

Has anyone tried one of these for scones, pancakes, tattie scones or oatcakes ?

cheers,
Toddy

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Hi Toddy if you can make chappaties on them, i think there would be no problem with pancakes and oatcakes,next time i'm at are local Asian mini market i,ll pick one up and get maxine to test one out,we also use a cast iron griddle and as you say are a bit heavy when out and about.

Bernie

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Cheers Bernie,
I wondered if they would be so thin that we'd have trouble getting enough slow even heat for our type of baking.
I did like the size and the folding handle though, a lot easier to carry than the muckle great hooped iron one I use.

cheers,
Toddy

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
George (GWHTBushcraft) has one very similar from Scandinavia that he's brought to a couple of meets.

They are excellent for campfire cooking - I made a lovely bannock one one at the last Midlands Meet - and George used it for fry-ups / burgers etc too.

It also folds up really nicely to slip into a pack.

They need seasoning well - perhaps more than a griddle as they are so thin, which means they heat up much faster - but once they are sealed they are fantastic.

In fact, I may get one from the site you linked too!

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I could be wrong but do you mean 'griddle'? Maybe there's a different spelling in Scotland.

My gran used to wear a girdle. :D

The Tuvaa's are fine - they're just a flattish, cast-iron frying pan. Fine for chapatis and small fry ups. As they are very flat, not much use for anything with a lot of liquid.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've never worn a girdle (apart from a leather one :rolleyes: :D ) in my life. My cast iron one has 'Girdle' embossed into the casting on the base..........I didn't know the English called it a griddle......which we would use as a rack to roast meat on.......until I was in my twenties.
Ladies who wore what you lot refer to as a girdle called it a belt.

Funny old world :confused: What makes it more so is that the square aluminium one that has girdle cast into it says, "Made in England" too :D

cheers,
Toddy

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Has anyone tried one of these for scones, pancakes, tattie scones or oatcakes ?

As Scots, albeit exiled in England, we use a six inch cast iron skillet for this sort of thing when camping. The low sided one, with a short metal handle.

Maybe not as light as you want but a lot easier to carry than a full sized girdle.

Graham

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
I have one of those "sizzler" pans you get at some steak resturants. Its all cast and has a small handle. Cost about £6 from a cook shop.

Mark

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I've never worn a girdle (apart from a leather one :rolleyes: :D ) in my life. My cast iron one has 'Girdle' embossed into the casting on the base..........I didn't know the English called it a griddle......which we would use as a rack to roast meat on.......until I was in my twenties.
Ladies who wore what you lot refer to as a girdle called it a belt.

Funny old world :confused: What makes it more so is that the square aluminium one that has girdle cast into it says, "Made in England" too :D

cheers,
Toddy

You live and learn!

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I use something similar for crepes.....cant see why it wouldn't work but you are right they do heat up pretty quickly. Buy one anyway I say and the worst thing that will happen is crepes are on the menu!!!!!
Dave
mnnnmmn crepes.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
George (GWHTBushcraft) has one very similar from Scandinavia that he's brought to a couple of meets.

They are excellent for campfire cooking - I made a lovely bannock one one at the last Midlands Meet - and George used it for fry-ups / burgers etc too.

It also folds up really nicely to slip into a pack.

I think that is the one that was featured in issue 9 of Bushcraft and Survival skills magazine. I can't for the life in me remember what they were called but i think they were between £30 and £50 for the pan, the attachable feet and the carry bag.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I think that is the one that was featured in issue 9 of Bushcraft and Survival skills magazine. I can't for the life in me remember what they were called but i think they were between £30 and £50 for the pan, the attachable feet and the carry bag.

Haven't seen that issue, but it sounds very like something that Woodlore use called either a Merulla or Murekka pan IIRC. Shallow and wide with three screw-on legs and packs into a cotton/canvas bag. I've had a quick search on t'web but haven't found anything just yet.

Toddy, we have both a round tuvaa and a cast ally item and haven't considered them for camping because of issues with holding them flat and level over our fire - but over your camp kitchen they'd be no trouble. The issue would be to maintain the fire temperature steady if there is less metal to dampen out temperature fluctuations.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Haven't seen that issue, but it sounds very like something that Woodlore use called either a Merulla or Murekka pan IIRC. Shallow and wide with three screw-on legs and packs into a cotton/canvas bag. I've had a quick search on t'web but haven't found anything just yet.

Yep, i think that's the fella Ogri, cheers. By the way, congrats on your MOD-dum, obviously managment material!:rolleyes: :D

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Hi Toddy, brought one today from our local Asian stores,Maxine's just seasoned it and made some brill pancakes on it,will now be taking it out and about with us instead of the griddle,the cost was £4.99 if you would like one i will weight it and see what the postage cost is and send one up to you ,hope it helps cheers

100_0206.jpg

Bernie

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE