Tutorial - Camp Loom & Mat Making

Tutorial – Camp Loom & Mat Making

This has become a favourite of ours to use at the NE Scotland meets, we first tried it back in April and it worked so well we decided to try again at the September meet and were impressed yet again.

The original idea came from reading Grave's Bushcraft Books, in particular the part on the camp loom, which can be found at :http://chrismolloy.com/www/p134

This is quite a simple setup and process and can be done by the one person; however it would take a while longer to do and you will need to add some supporting sticks as shown in Grave's diagram to hold the main bar. So I would recommend 2 people at a minimum to complete a mat quickly and neatly. If you have more people the better and it makes for a nice little production line for those standing watching. :)

These mats have multiple uses such as floor mats for a shelter or an area that is going to have a lot of people walking over it, or use as a door to your shelter, sleeping mats. One other suggestion that came up is you could probably use multiples of these for walls to a shelter, I guess before you pile on the mulch it would work.

1)To start with you need to find 8 sticks, spike them and place them in the ground.
These define the length of the mat you are going to make and will take the threads which will support the mat.
You can make it as long or as short as you want it.

P1000195 by pandabean2010, on Flickr

2)
Start to measure and cut your string/cord, tie it off to the first stake and take it to the second stake opposite it, wrap it round a few times and tie it off here. Make your way back with the string to the starting post and loosely tie it off, you will be tying this to something else.
Continue along all the pairs of stakes until you are done.

P1000198 by pandabean2010, on Flickr

3)Now take the loosely tied ends and tie these to a long straightish stick, this will be your main bar that controls whether the strings go up or down. It is through this motion that you will be able to weave the material through.

P1000202 by pandabean2010, on Flickr

4)Either before you start this loom or once you are at this point you will need to gather suitable material for weaving.
In this case we used some rush that we had cut from the nearby field. Earlier in the year we had used dried reeds from a nearby lake. I have heard of people using dried grass as well, each material will have their own properties.

5)Now the weaving begins!
Have one person lower and hold the bar to the ground whilst the other person(s) place some of the rush (the Weft) in between the warp strings. It is best to take 2 bundles per each pass and each bundle with alternate ends, ie bundle 1 will have the thin ends at the top and thick ends at the bottom and bundle 2 will have the thick ends at the top and the thin ends at the bottom.

P1000203 by pandabean2010, on Flickr

6)Once this first weft is done, the person holding the main bar raises it up so that there is enough room to get the second bundle passed in. After two or three bundles it is best to tie off each of the strings as this should stop the bundles sliding down.

P1000204 by pandabean2010, on Flickr

7)
Lift up and weave in the next bundle, lower the bar and weave in the next. Continue this process until you reach the end of the available string on the loom and try to the keep the bundles level as you go.

P1000205 by pandabean2010, on Flickr

8)Once you reach the end you need to cut the strings from the closest stakes and tie them off, this will be one end done. You will need to repeat at the other end. For this end we found that it is best to add a bit of string at the end of each string to stop it coming undone when you take the strings off.
This is also the point where everyone stands and watches the others do the work. ;)

P1000209 by pandabean2010, on Flickr

9)After you have cut it all free you have a nice finished mat that has multiple uses and looks nice if you are at a camp for a period of time.

P1000211 by pandabean2010, on Flickr

I have added the photos from our meet earlier in the year which may help in understanding how the loom works. We had used dried reeds from a nearby lake on the estate and instead of putting the spikes in the ground at one end we had used a bar tied to a tree and 4 stakes at the other end.

NE Bushmeet (86) by pandabean2010, on Flickr

NE Bushmeet (90) by pandabean2010, on Flickr

NE Bushmeet (91) by pandabean2010, on Flickr

NE Bushmeet (94) by pandabean2010, on Flickr

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Nice one Andy mate :)

Its very simple in its make up and the mat we produced from it using the rushes was very comfortable. We went through quite an extensive list on applications from the things you can make from it.

atb

Craig

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Thanks for posting this, I'd seen a diagram in a scout book, but this makes things a lot clearer...

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
www.bushcraftdays.com
Looks pretty good, just noticed that you have several pieces of string on there holding it together.
Did you find this a problem when weaving with all the stakes?

I saw this method at the Gathering a few years ago. As long as you take your time with the set up and make sure all your lines are tight then it is easy to work with.

I used to get the kids to make mats using the method in one Mr Mears's books but now prefer this method.

Cheers, George

What book of Mears is it in? The essential Bushcraft one?
Never noticed in there.

First saw it in the 10 Bushcraft books, tried it at our April meet and then got shown it again on the Woodsmoke course I was on.

I was hoping to maybe demonstrate this at the moot next year but I don't think there was any suitable reeds. Could do it with springy sycamore branches I guess.

Thanks George, some help would be good. :) Never done a workshop at the moot before, only passed on knowledge at our local meet but to a handful of people. But I am willing to give it a go.

I agree, what I was thinking with Charleslockerbie was that we would have some looms set up, and one in pieces to show how it is put together and then set people off in groups of 3-4.

Do you have an idea about materials at the moot site?

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Time for a bit of threadcromancy ...

Zombie_Battle_Emoticon_by_Dystopia3000.gif

Zombie_Emoticon_by_Dystopia3000.gif

I've just mentioned this thread elsewhere and thought it a good one to bump :D .

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
one idea that came to mind wrt the weaving - its possible to put a slight twist in the warp that might hold the mat together a little better - process would be to alternate which side of the fixed lines the moveable lines are placed when in the lowered position - something like lift bar, place in bundle, shift bar slightly so lines are to the right of the fixed stakes and lower the bar, place in bundle, raise bar, place in bundle, shift bar slightly so lines are to the left of the fixed stakes and lower bar, place bundle, raise bar - repeat as needed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE