Turns out my council are quite helpful

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Taking my lead from this thread: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26186&highlight=darwen

I decided to try and contact my council too, in the hope of finding out what's really out there locally. After a couple of day I got an email back. Here's some of it:

In terms of woodlands that may be suitable for your requirements I would suggest (as you live in Darwen) Sunnyhurst Wood or maybe Witton Country Park (480 acres with large areas of woodland, some with footpaths through and some without and so would be less disturbed). Sunnyhurst Wood does have badger and deer but to my knowledge Witton doesn't have badgers but plenty of deer. Sunnyhurst Wood is a BHS and a local nature reserve and is botanically interesting (if you can see past the balsam!)- the recently retired county ecologist Peter Jepson has carried out flora surveys in the past of Sunnyhurst (as he live very close by) and I am sure would be happy to chat to you and point out interesting spots in the wood to visit. The top woodland of Witton Park -Billinge Wood is also a BHS. Both woodlands are council owned so you accessing them would be no problem even at night as there is public access 24/7 (and any litter picking or tidying up you do in the process would be very gratefully received). There is a bit more information on the council web site about these site if you are interested - www.blackburn.gov.uk/parks. If you want any more info or intend using either of these sites please let me know. Another woodland that might fit the bill would be Roddlesworth woods which is owned by United Utilities, but this is less accessible but it is walkable via the top of Sunnyhurst wood up Donkey Brow. The contact for these woods would be X who is the part time ranger for that area; he may also be able to provide you with any information about volunteering opportunities available in the area

Badger and deers? Blimey, I would never have guessed!

Then I received another email with maps and surveys for the flora and fauna of Sunnyhurst. The tree's are mapped out using a code. Took me a while to work it out but it's the first two letters of the genus, and three for the name. So for example "qurob" for Quercus robur (English Oak).

I've uploaded them to my cloud in case anyone would like to see, I'm sure it's available to the public if they asked. http://cl.ly/92nx

So anyway. I was made up and just wanted to share. Sent an email to the ranger too, would love to get in on that in my spare time. You get paid apparently, too.

PS: Interestingly they never actually said that overnight stays are permitted but they didn't say they weren't!

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Fantastic matey! It really is a case of don't ask don't get, perhaps if more peeps ask they would see a need in there local community for greater access, well done in deed dude,

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Cheers guys. I've been on the hunt for Birch as it's pretty rare round here. But on the map there's a nice patch of it with scots pine!

I'm still trying to work out the key to a couple of other markings which aren't in line with the 2+3 of the trees. Screenie attached, anyone any ideas? I don't think they're standard OS abbreviations...

http://cl.ly/91IQ
http://cl.ly/92vY

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nicely done :approve: and wasn't that a really capable answer from the Council ? :D
Excellent. Good to hear that not all of England is inaccessable to it's people :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
I had to try a couple of times and do a bit of searching to get the right person, but I guess that's half the fun. The email there came from the department with the nice short name of, wait for it....

Countryside Services, Sustainable Neighbourhood Services
Environment, Housing and Neighbourhoods Department
Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council

:D

PS. Does BHS, as mentioned in the email, stand for 'British Horseriding Society?'

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have to say I work for a council and if you find the right person who has the right attitude, usually those that love there jobs, you find mountains can be moved in no time at all. its a bit rough working in the public sector sometimes but knowing that you are working to improve the local area really helps me get out of bed in the morning :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like working with the ranger service folks :D Always interesting, and they're all enthusiasts about something fascinating :cool:

BHS might be British Horticultural Society ?

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE