Turkey Day! And Gluten Free

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Just pulled the sweet potato pie for tomorrow out of the oven. Couldn't find a Gluten Free crust so I had to make my own (1st time for everything) using ordinary crust recipe and substituting GF all purpose flour. Came out pretty good with the exception that it's a bit over done.

Next to make the cornbread for the dressing.

That's my contribution; along with the wine. Barbara's frying the turkey and making the other side dishes (mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, and cranberry sauce) Tomorrow's also the opening day of 1st gun season (bow season's been open about a month) but I doubt I'll get a chance to go deer hunting tomorrow (maybe later in the weekend)

All in all it looks like a good long weekend. Feasting and football tomorrow, hunting Friday, and hockey Saturday night; all with the family. :)

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
THat's wierd - I just said on the crayfish thread that the crayfish boiling gear that's just been ordered could be used for frying a turkey. I'd love to try that - it's in my list of things to do when I've got a) space, b) the cash...

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Most any pot bid enough to hold the turkey will work. You do need a special device for lowering ant lifting the whole turkey in and out of the hot oils safely.

BUT!!! In any case; If you've never done it before, PLEASE be careful and watch a video or tutorial on youtube or on the food netrwork.
Here are some good safety tips and a short video www.wate.com/story/16092249/safety-tips-for-frying-a-turkey

Ulsteryank

Nov 22, 2011
Belfast, N.Ireland
Sounds great! Good to hear about Ol' Turkey Day being celebrated in a gluten-free fashion. Afraid I have to work through it over here, but wish all back home a good one!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Happy Thanksgiving to all the Yanks on the forum and to all others who get a chance to celebrate it. Among other things, I'm thankful for this forum and all my friends here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE