Turkey Auction.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Today is Tuesday,and since king John gave the city of Salisbury its market charter and has held markets regularly since 1227,originally the livestock market was held there as well as seen here:

Sheep in Market Square by fishfish_01, on Flickr

In the 1950's the live stock market move up the Avon valley just out of the city and stayed there till the late 1990's when it moved to its present home at Netherhampton 1 mile from the city.
Christmas week the Annual Turkey Auction is held,and today was that day,we left early from home to get there for viewing the birds at 8am,auction started at 10 am,there were in excess of 350 turkeys,over 100 geese ,and scores of ducks and chickens,the Auction hall was packed with probably 200 people all eager to get their bargain for Christmas,whole turkeys started at 8lb size right up to 42lb .The price on the first 50 lots hovered around the £1.20 per lb mark then it went up a bit to £1.50 per lb for the Norfolk blacks and the bronzes,but the whites seemed much cheaper and this was what i was hoping for,i got a 30lb bird,freerange for £15.00 thats just 50p per lb,a bargain as when i checked the shops today the same sized birds were listed at £60+ each so thats over £2.00 a lb!
All in all a great morning had and some fine conversation had with some really interesting folk,heres some pics :

DSC03828.jpg

DSC03830.jpg

DSC03832.jpg

DSC03833.jpg

now how am i gonna get that in the oven!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ive converted to Mithatism so it will be beef.

(When they saw my Bulls tonker they lost interest in gender quibbles.)

Do bronze turkeys taste better than whites?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, I have a dried bulls willy to increase my masculinity.

(you mean I shouldnt be doing this? I am not keen on the alternative.)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE