Tumpline - finally finshed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Looks great!

One thing: I've used these all my life, and I'm not quite getting the significance of the bone ring (never seen that before). On the long ones, we just have wooden toggles on the ends.

PG

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
it looks great!

now step forward the one brave enough to speak out and show wh ta fool he is........

whay exactly is a trumpline - and what is it for :eek:

skulks away quietly ...:sulkoff:

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
g4ghb said:
it looks great!

now step forward the one brave enough to speak out and show wh ta fool he is........

whay exactly is a trumpline - and what is it for :eek:

skulks away quietly ...:sulkoff:

Tumps or portage collars are a strap, most often slightly wider in the center, about 12 to 16 feet long which are used to haul goods across a portage. Commonly used by Native Americans and 18th and 19th century French Canadian Voyagers.

http://www.tumpline.org/What is a tumpline.htm

Tumpline used to portage canoe:

http://paddlingcanada.com/kanawa/issues/fall02.php

PG

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
cheers guys! - have seen them before but never knew they had a name....

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Just a little historical tidbit:

French Canadian Voyagers were expected to carry, with a tumpline, two "pieces" per trip on each portage. A piece weighed 90 pounds. They would carry this, bent over, and at a trot.

One local voyager, Pierre Bongo, held the historic record of carrying five pieces one mile. Pierre was part Ojibwe, part negro, son of a slave freed by his master who was a British officer at Michillimacinac just after the French and Indian War. Bongos (or Bongas) still live in our area.

PG

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I had a short length of lime bark cordage in my shed for a while. It did get fairly dry and more fragile with time.

Could I use some sort of oil on my cordage to keep it pliable?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE