Tudor 'Style' Spoon

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I made myself a new eating spoon this afternoon, and having grown rather fond of the ergonomics and overall feel and size of the Medieval style spoon, i thought i would make myself one in that style.

DSCN0918.jpg

This one is approx 6" long, the bowl is 2" in diameter and the handle is 3/8" at it's thickest point

The spoon is made from a nice bit of Hazel that I've had in the workshop for some time, i took this down to the rough thickness i wanted with the draw knife and then carved out the shape with a Mora before refining the overall shape with my Sloyd knives, the spoon is un-sanded and features an octagonal tapered handle and the distinctive 'lollipop' shape of the Medieval style spoon

DSCN0914.jpg

To finish the spoon i spent a bit of time smoothing off all of the tool marks with my pick knife to give a nice finish and once i was happy with the overall look and feel of it, i simply oiled it up with some Olive oil, all i need now is to wait until tomorrow morning so i can enjoy eating my Corn Flakes with it.:D

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Insults and such are not tolerated here. Go elsewhere to post random links and insult valued members.

Nice spoon buddy, I much prefer that style to the modern one! Keep it up!

Can you make a fork for us to see?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Nice spoon Kepis. Thanks for sharing.

Samon, I don't think the guy insulting is real. If you click on his link, it looks like a spammer just trying to get attention.

Last edited:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Insults and such are not tolerated here. Go elsewhere to post random links and insult valued members.

Nice spoon buddy, I much prefer that style to the modern one! Keep it up!

Can you make a fork for us to see?

cheers mate, a fork, ummm, watch this space:)

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
If you watched Antiques roadshow yesterday afternoon (which I know you don't) there was a rack of Welsh spoons like this one.
Very interesting it was.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
If you watched Antiques roadshow yesterday afternoon (which I know you don't) there was a rack of Welsh spoons like this one.
Very interesting it was.

Just watched it on the iPlayer, well that one bit anyway:), shocked at the price £400.0 to £500.00, man alive, took some stills from the screen while i was there too, well it would be rude not to;)

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Funnily enough, I was in BBC South East yesterday as Antiques Roadshow came on - I was close enough to the controls that I could have taken it off the air in the SE!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE