Trying some dyeing (not lieing or sighing)... (pic heavy)

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
During a chilly evening at the last Sussex meet, I was briefly taunted by another member (I won't name him, because he's under 18 and German... :D) who had a wonderfully warm wool blanket. Despite my claim that I was older and thus entitled to keep it, I spent the rest of the evening shivering and muttering under my breath...

However, I survived the night and went on a quest to find a blanket of my own, possibly to make a poncho with. A quick advert on Freegle (similar to Freecycle) saw me with a big Witney wool blanket. The main problem was that it was pink and I'm not masculine enough to really carry that... ;)

Did some research on a different thread and decided to try dyeing it a different colour. Needed a suitable container to heat it in and remembered that I'd been given a stainless 10 gallon beer barrel a few years ago that I was planning on turning into a stove but didn't. A few minutes work with various power tools left me with a sturdy bucket with built in carrying handles. Wish I had a plasma cutter as it would have made a much neater job...

Anyway, the problem remained on how to heat such a big pot. Fortunately, I had a "roarer" stove in the garage that I'd bought in India - it's basically a big kerosene pressure stove. With a few bricks, made a suitable stand and fired her up:

9a40d9e4.jpg

Barrel fitted neatly on top and was quite stable:

83a99d76.jpg

934fba0d.jpg

I'd initially tried to dye with left-over coffee grounds but I didn't have enough to make a strong enough mixture, although the piece of cotton I soaked in it came out a nice shade of tan:

61376631.jpg

I then had the "bright" idea of using the left over sloes from slow-gin making. I filtered the gin off (using tights - top tip) and blended the old berries. I put them back in some old tights to make less mess on the blanket. My thoughts were that the juice/skins should give a nice colour and the tannin in the stones would help too.

4ee618ff.jpg

I also had a load of sloes in the freezer so bunged those in too. As the water heated up it felt very odd, but somehow satisfying, to squash all these berries inside another tight leg. Looked very much like cleaning/cooking offal but smelt much better:

7e5f947a.jpg

I brought it all to the boil and chucked some more cotton in to see how it would turn out. Left it to cool overnight. Cotton came out like this:

b98b9ea0.jpg

After this, I put the blanket in - really looked like a barrel of guts now:

85f17a46.jpg

Brought to the boil and kept hot for an hour or so. Let it cool overnight again.
It's now fairly dry and doesn't look quite as pink as it did before - more of a terracotta colour. It might all wash out, though, but I'm planning on dyeing it again with oak bark in the spring:

95a3548d.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well done :D

Your pinkish berry dye will go blueish grey if you use alkali on it......like soap :D

I'd try tea, lots and lots of tea :D

Thank you for the photos and the report :cool:

atb,
M

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Oh, that was very good.

(I have plenty of blankets but no pink ones...If anyones interested.)

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Trying tea today with a Price Control Utility Blanket - it's in poor nick, full of mouse/moth holes but at least I'll see a result. Have cut a section out to see the difference afterwards

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Well impressed with my stove. Left it running at 3:30pm thinking it would run out of pressure & go out. Got back at 5:30pm to find it still going strong!

Turned off now & cooling down - looks a good colour so far but won't know until tomorrow what the result is

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Tryb your local coffee shop - Starbucks etc - they'll provide you with a bucket-load of used coffee grounds!

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Problem with coffee is that the extraction process is more efficient so used grounds aren't that effective. It's also difficult to filter out in large quantities

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
coffee grounds sink in hot water if left alone for about 5 mins, scoop off the liquid then bin the grounds....:)

Fair enough but I was given a big bag full of teabags so thought I'd use them. There's actually no tannin in coffee. If this crappy blanket comes out OK then I'll invest in some cheap teabags & re-dye Ol' Pinky

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Coffee's never really very dark as a dye anyway. It's more of a kind of pale milk chocolate stain, iimmc. Iron helps, but you have to be careful with it near wool.

A two hour burn on the stove sounds good :D the set up looks excellent :)

cheers,
Toddy

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Thanks, Toddy! It is nice having the big stove, especially when it runs for so long. Letting it cool overnight then will rinse & dry tomorrow. For the pink one I'll bung some more teabags in & make the tea first, I think

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Well, I'd say it was a success, assuming **** brown was the desired result

59a416d4.jpg

Once it's dry I'll get a picture in comparison to the original

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D That's a result :cool:

Nice one :D

See thon pink one you dyed ? if you overdye it with tea you'll get a rich mud colour on it :D Very bushcrafty, very wearable.

That scrappy, tea dyed blanket...........do you want the patterns for hoods and boot liners ? It would use up the sound bits of the wool. Though you could probably, with careful cutting out, make a good shirt too, or a birrus with patches where required.

cheers,
Toddy

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Patterns would be good, thanks.

Will try dyeing the pink one imminently. Haven't rinsed the Holy blanket yet so don't know how permanent the colour is

P.S. What's a birrus?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE