Trust me, I am a doctor

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Nothing whatever to do with Bushcraft, but I am rather full of myself and of malt whisky this evening.

I successfully defended my doctoral thesis this afternoon, and pending completion of the inevitable revisions, I am a doctor of philosophy now. I know a lot of people like to deride academic success but it is not something that came to me easily and it has taken me eight years to get here. I was somewhat thwarted academically in my younger years and so it means a lot to me now in my sixth decade, sadly my parents, and my uncles and aunts are not there to see it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Many congratulations :D :approve:

I will quite happily petition the Boss to add Dr. before your name, or PhD after it if you like ?
It's quite an achievement, at any age :)

atb,
M

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Hearty congratulations indeed; adult study is indeed a thing to be encouraged but your achievement at that level must have required a lot of commitment and hard work. Very well done indeed, sir! :)

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
Congratulation! I did my B.Sc degree in my sixth decade so I can appreciate the effort it took to complete your PhD. Would I be out of line to ask the title of your thesis? In the meantime, pour yourself another whisky, you've earned it !

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They have never handed out doctorates with a pack of cornflakes - so be rightly proud - more so for doing it as a mature student!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Good on you, I am busy being a mature student, but only for a wee Bdsc...

Dont you get showing me stuff on screens mind; I have sensory issues.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
Congratulations. A real achievement and I'll raise a glass of rum in congratulations (like I need an excuse).

Well done, worth all the hard work I'm sure.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
Good man. It's a long way off for me but something g I'm rapidly having to consider. Only one doctor in my family, my grandfather, a potato doctor. So I havnt been set the highest if expectations in this regard :)

What did you "doctorate" in? I'm always pleased to hear of people so enthused by a specific topic that they are willing to go to such lengths to learn as much as they possibly can. I'm really lucky in that my business ethics tutorials are taught by a general tutor, but also an ethics doctorate student. So energizing to experience such knowledge and enthusiasm.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Nothing whatever to do with Bushcraft, but I am rather full of myself and of malt whisky this evening.

I successfully defended my doctoral thesis this afternoon, and pending completion of the inevitable revisions, I am a doctor of philosophy now. I know a lot of people like to deride academic success but it is not something that came to me easily and it has taken me eight years to get here. I was somewhat thwarted academically in my younger years and so it means a lot to me now in my sixth decade, sadly my parents, and my uncles and aunts are not there to see it.

Well done chap, I got my degree in my fifth decade, sadly my folks also missed it in this world but I'm sure they will celebrate your success in their world, top marks Doctor

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Congratulations from another ex-mature student*, though not to such lofty heights.

*ex-mature could, of course, be a synonym for second childhood!

Judging by some of the expertise evident on this site, we're all going to have to have PhDs to keep up!

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Good man. It's a long way off for me but something g I'm rapidly having to consider. Only one doctor in my family, my grandfather, a potato doctor. So I havnt been set the highest if expectations in this regard :)

What did you "doctorate" in? I'm always pleased to hear of people so enthused by a specific topic that they are willing to go to such lengths to learn as much as they possibly can. I'm really lucky in that my business ethics tutorials are taught by a general tutor, but also an ethics doctorate student. So energizing to experience such knowledge and enthusiasm.

As I said in an earlier post, it was in education, specifically the education of autistic adults throught the medium of video. Ethics played a very important part in it, in that a considerable portion of the thesis was devoted to that, and my examiners liked that approach. I wanted to take ethics beyond the usual form of doing no harm to the participants to having some positive outcome for them. That is to say the research was not carried out as some stepping stone to my own academic career (as if that matters at my age) but that it should have as an aim bettering that community. It is a grand ambition to be sure but my examiners agreed that it was a very original piece of research and my PhD is not the end of it.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Can I just listen to the video, or do I have to watch it?

(Sorry about this, too much flash photography in class today, and I am having an autistic evening.)

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
As I said in an earlier post, it was in education, specifically the education of autistic adults throught the medium of video. Ethics played a very important part in it, in that a considerable portion of the thesis was devoted to that, and my examiners liked that approach. I wanted to take ethics beyond the usual form of doing no harm to the participants to having some positive outcome for them. That is to say the research was not carried out as some stepping stone to my own academic career (as if that matters at my age) but that it should have as an aim bettering that community. It is a grand ambition to be sure but my examiners agreed that it was a very original piece of research and my PhD is not the end of it.

Sorry, I clearly missed that post. That sounds a fantastic field. Especially given my partner is on such a spectrum, and that I myself tick every box but have had no formal assessment.

Your purpose and drive is really admirable.

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
Well done my friend, not just an amazing achievement by anyone, at any age, but a major piece of ambitious work that goes well beyond academic award. You aim to benefit mankind, that's an accolade to be proud of, recognised and celebrated. Inspirational in every sense. All the best with your endeavours.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE