Truffle foraging

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
845
0
43
Oxfordshire
I would like to go Truffle foraging, as I have heard they are delicious! I have access to a fairly large wood in oxfordshire, which has a lot of Beech and a fair bit of Oak, and im thinking that there must be some truffles in amongst 'em.

Can anyone give me any tips on how to find them? Do they protrude through the soil or are they actually buried beneath the soil?

Thanks
 
They're buried. As far as I know, the only way to find them is with a pig or a dog.

I think they're delicious, but they're definitely something of an acquired taste. I know a few people who think they're vile. And they're not the sort of thing that you'd eat on their own - they need to be used in a meal. The flavour is very strong.
 
I knew I had posted a bit about them a while back, andyns last linkie

Couldn't get the search to work though :(

Keep us posted if you fnd one

Tant
 
top info, guys - cheers. Im going to have a sniff about on sat hopefully. Anyone watch Heavans Kitchen? chap on there found one the size of a cricket ball and i aint kiddin - in the UK too.....!
 

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE