Tru-Nord

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi,

I’ve been trying to get in touch with Tru-Nord (http://www.trunord.com/), to check UK postage and find out whether it would be set to the UK magnetic variance on dispatch. I’m getting no response, has anyone got any information or experience of them?

Thanks,

Bagheera

Forager
Jan 8, 2004
The Netherlands
home.kabelfoon.nl
Andy,.

I'm allmost sure that Hoodoo will answer to your post as he has at least a couple of Tru-Nord compasses if I'm correct, if I remember correctly he has posted on them before but on another forum.

I'm interested in Tru-Nord's reply also as I have wanted to get one of their little beauties for some time now but was unsure if they could correct the compass to the Netherlands.

Let's wait for Hoodoo to kick in ;)

Best Scouting wishes from Hollaand,

Bagheera

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi Bagheera,

Thanks for the information and when/if I get a reply I’ll let you know.

So Hoodoo, the floor is yours…

;o)

Andy

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
On the 9th Jan this year Tru Nord charged me $16.95 for a Pocket & Backpacker Compass. US Mail First Class Mail was $18.00 making a total of $34.95.

It was with me within the week.

I was fairly certain that I'd specified that the compass should be set up for the UK, however after reading this thread I thought I'd better check.

I taped a sheet of paper to a table in my garden and marked magnetic north with my Silva 54, I then placed my Tru-Nord on the line to see which direction it indicated. See results at...

http://homepage.mac.com/andrewrush/Pictures/compass/compass.html

and yes, I have far too much spare time ;)

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
There’s no such thing as “too much spare time” when it comes to playing in the garden! Thanks for the info Sandbender. I was a little shocked at the postage though. I bought two Streamline casting reels from the US (http://www.streamlines.com/) a couple of weeks ago (they’re brilliant get one). The guy there put them in a prepaid international envelope (what ever you can get in about 10” x 6” and whatever the weight) it cost $5 and was with me in two working days.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Well guys, I wish I could help ya but I don't know why he's not answering his emails. Nor do I know much about postage to the UK. I have chatted on the phone with the guy who owns the place and he's a great guy! I love the Tru Nord compass and probably have around a half dozen. Top quality stuff, imo, and you can send them back and have them set up for whatever region you want. I did not check out the link above. I hope your compass was pointing in the right direction. :)

I almost always have one hanging around my neck, along with a few other doodads. :)

minineckkit1b.jpg

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi Hoodoo,

Excuse my ignorance but what is the rod between the LED light and the “Key” knife (and are those any good?) What do you use the wicks for in this kit, do you carry fuel?

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I ordered 2 Tru-Nords earlier this week on the site...using a Cheque as paytype and the next day I had a return email from Gayle confirming the order. These have not yet arrived but after seeing Hoodoo's over the years AND heard of their reliability from many others I just could not resist any longer.

The Global Priority mailers to the UK are only $5 but these are a small envelope not a box. A box, which I am guessing is much better for mailiing these compasses, will definately cost more even though very light weight. $18 seems a bit high, but I have had to pay about that much for a small box to the UK via Global priority service.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Andy Brierley said:
Hi Hoodoo,

Excuse my ignorance but what is the rod between the LED light and the “Key” knife (and are those any good?) What do you use the wicks for in this kit, do you carry fuel?

The rod is an 1/8" ferrocerium rod for making fire. It works beautifully. The wicks are Tinder Quik fire tabs which I like to carry when I don't have a lot of room but don't want to make a mess. Otherwise, I usually carry vaseline-impregnated cotton balls in some kind of container.

Do I carry fuel: when? Not sure what you mean?

This is kind of an edc kit. I have used the pen many times to cross off stuff on my grocery list for when I forgot a pen or pencil while shopping. Also, I hate to lose buttons and like to keep a needle and thread handy for loose ones. And just in case I rip the south end of my pants at work... :) The flashlight is always handy but I have one on my keychain as well so this is just a backup.

If I'm in the woods, I usually carry a bit larger kit on my person.

It usually looks something like this (also with a Tru Nord).

minikit1c.jpg

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi,

Thanks, I assumed it was a ferrocerium rod, but I’ve not seen one that small before, where did you get it? As I thought your “Tinder Quik fire tabs” (which I’ve not heard of, could you explain, please) were wicks, I assumed you would use some sort of liquid fuel that they would “wick up”, so to speak ;o)

And are those Utili-key things any good? (Good God, you seem to have all the answers! I don’t suppose you know what I’ve done with my spare car keys?)

Andy

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I received my Tru-Nord compasses yesterday. I had sent a personal cheque to Gayle and it has not even cleared my bank yet and I have the compasses....nice.

I chose a black pin-on and a pocket model compensated for 21 deg E.

These are really the best overall constructed small compasses I have ever had. They look to have a jeweled bearing, an O-ring between the case pieces (waterproof?), settle quickly and have a very reasonable tolerance for working off level.

I am quite impressed with them and cannot wait to see how they work in the field. I am adding the pocket model to my vest kit and will pin the other on my favorite woods coat.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Andy Brierley said:
Hi,

Thanks, I assumed it was a ferrocerium rod, but I’ve not seen one that small before, where did you get it? As I thought your “Tinder Quik fire tabs” (which I’ve not heard of, could you explain, please) were wicks, I assumed you would use some sort of liquid fuel that they would “wick up”, so to speak ;o)

And are those Utili-key things any good? (Good God, you seem to have all the answers! I don’t suppose you know what I’ve done with my spare car keys?)

Andy

Andy, I bought the small ferro rod from Ron Hood's site. I don't have the link handy. You can also pry off the ferro rod on a magnesium fire starter if you just want to have the small ferro rod.

The Tinder Quik tabs are just that: quick tinder. :) Fluff them up, put them in a pile of dry tinder, hit them with a spark from a ferro rod, and bob's yer uncle.

The utili keys have their good points and bad points. The main bad point is that I have had them lose their springiness and come off a key chain so I never store them there. A couple good points are that the screwdrivers work good and it will give you a great spark off a ferro rod.

Have you checked your girlfriend's house for the keys? :D

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
sandbender said:
On the 9th Jan this year Tru Nord charged me $16.95 for a Pocket & Backpacker Compass. US Mail First Class Mail was $18.00 making a total of $34.95.

I ordered one recently and it was $16.95 and $2.00 postage airmail to the UK.

Haven't got it yet but they haven't said there's a problem either??

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
I received the two Tru-Nord compasses I ordered in double quick time. However, they point in different directions, which seems to be a bit of an issue! One points at magnetic North and the other at around -7 degrees.

Has anyone else had any problems with theirs, or bothered to check them?

Bagheera

Forager
Jan 8, 2004
The Netherlands
home.kabelfoon.nl
Guys,

Glad Hoodoo jumped in, ....half a dozen Tru-Nord compasses? I thought I had some addictions ;)

I really don't get it that companies charge that much postage, there is the flat rate small and large Global Priority envelope, $6 and $9 each and from the US to the Netherlands in 3-4 days flat is super fast.
The small FRGPE can hold half a dozen Tru North compasses easilly in some protective bubble wrap. And for a super safe shipment a small USPS box fits inside a large FRGPE and that could hold at least a dozen Tru-Nord compasses with bubble wrapping.

I received a tiny padded envelope with a double sided DMT "balisong" sharpener and DMT put $14 on it, absolutely crazy, the small FRGPE would have been a lot cheaper and even regular Airmail would not have cost more the $4.
There is lots of money to be saved on postage and lots of customers to be won if they just charge realistic postage. Sending a $15 item and charging $16 postage is just bonkers.

Best Scouting wishes,

Bagheera

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Andy Brierley said:
I received the two Tru-Nord compasses I ordered in double quick time. However, they point in different directions, which seems to be a bit of an issue! One points at magnetic North and the other at around -7 degrees.

Has anyone else had any problems with theirs, or bothered to check them?

Andy, I would contact Tru Nord immediately. That just ain't right.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE