Trouser recommendations - I'm fussy and tall

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
OK after decades of making do with anything that remotely fitted me I'm looking for something properly good for outdoor activities. We're talking walking duties here not work or strict Bushcraft. No hunting, working in woodland or anything like that. Just good, weather resistant trousers that's good in the UK climate (mostly the Lakes).

Key criteria for me:
Leg length - I'm 6'5" tall with legs to suit. I've never found trousers too fit they're all too short or too baggy or size 40 waist (I'm a 34" waist with long legs because I'm still slightly slim(ish)).

Colour - I'm looking for something that's available in sober colours that would allow me to wear them in the hills or pretty much anywhere. Black is good for that IMHO.

Leg style - in looking for a leg that isn't baggy. More slim but I'm a cyclist so I've got deceptively big thighs (my height hides this fact because length makes it less obvious).

Fabric - I'm looking at something that's going to dry quickly, cope with a little rain and with snow.

Now I'm thinking Scandinavian brands. I once saw a haglofs trousers that were perfect if they weren't green and two toned. Oh and back then I wasn't considering £140 for some trousers. Now I will spend what I need to in order to get something that fits, works well for me and should last. Fjallraven seems a good brand too. Anything else? What's your best recommendation? Money no object (within reason - I'll freak out if I have to spend more than £200 or so).

Sorry for being indulgent with this thread but I have no idea what is available these days in legwear. I reckon there will be lanky lads on this forum with good suggestions.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
5.11 are my usual go to make. Their basic style in a quick drying polycotton fabric (taclite pro) seem to last well, and are moderately comfortable. Available in long leg lengths, although the elasticated waist can cause the fabric to bunch which under a tight belt (e.g. when using a rucksack with hip belt) can be a little uncomfortable in my experience. Some of their more expensive trousers have a polycotton fabric with a slight stretch to them, and i find these to be supremely comfortable. Lots of subdued colours from military looking to plain greys and dark browns...

The legs are a standard 'cargo pant' fit though, so if you are looking for something slimline, may be a touch too baggy for your liking.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Another vote for 5.11. Have a look at the Stryke pants. A slimmer, more formal fit than the Taclites, stretch in the fabric, and thicker too.

5.11 make a lot of different styles, you should find something you like.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
If you might like Ventile, which is a close weave weather resistant cotton (doesn't dry quickly though) you could try approaching Hilltrek for a custom pair of strides

Here's a link to the Fjallraven sizing chart - https://fjcanada.ca/size-guides/- Fjallraven do a 'raw' finish for their trousers, which means they are super long, and you take them in according to requirements

In fact, pay more attention to the Fjallraven link than the Hilltrek suggestion :)

Last edited:

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
I got Haglofs and FR with strech panels. In my humblest opinion: they are crap. Avoid strech at all costs. Sure, they are comfy, but they failin the field.

Currently, I use my old M/90 polycotton pants (even if I highly dislike camo).

If I were to buy new pants, it would be the FR Barents Pro (195 cm/115kg)

Greger

Reactions: Billy-o

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
Rugged like crazy....I've used them for years. The sudden recollection of when I left the Army (kept the pants) sends chills down my back...d*mn, I'm getting old...

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
What puts me off polycotton is my first pair of trousers in it took ages to dry. I since went 100% synthetic and found the fabrics a lot better. It's the cotton content of FR trousers that put me off them.

The best trousers I've had were keela ones A British brand but their quality was not good which was good for me because their sizing was the dodgy bit. I had a local retailer who used to call me when they got another batch of trousers in with over length legs. It's like the leg length of a XXXL but only 32 or 34" waist. Then the next pair in the same size might be the leg length of a 28" waist trousers in short according to their size chart but with a 34" waist. Completely unreliable size control. Then the next generation took over (family run business apparently) and they went professional and sizes were kept standard since.

They were nylon with a stretch weave (4 way stretch) which made them supremely comfortable. Some thought they created static being synthetic, but mine were quiet and comfortable without static.

Are there any FR fully synthetic trousers? Or 5.11 brand? I find fully synthetic is better in wet conditions. I tend to resist putting full waterproofs on so often walk in moderate rain showers on softshell outer layers rather than resort to hard shell trousers and jacket. Wet out on the surface if good quality fabric but will dry out quicker when the rain stops.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
https://www.military1st.co.uk/sp-otp-nl-35-helikon-outdoor-tactical-pants-shadow-grey.html

helikon_outdoor_tactical_pants_shadow_grey_ALL_1.jpg

• Part of Helikon's Outdoor Tactical Line
  • Based on Helikon's classic UTP Pants design
  • Highly stretchable moisture-wicking fabric for custom fit and comfort
  • Breathable and lightweight with articulated, anatomic cut
  • Suitable for law enforcement, military use and outdoor enthusiasts
  • Elastic waist with Velcro fastener for additional adjustment
  • YKK zippered fly
  • Wide belt loops
  • Key loops, D-Ring or carabiner compatible
  • Two mesh front pockets with strengthened edges for gear clips
  • Two mesh wide back pockets with easy access adapted for dump mag use
  • Two composed slim back pockets for folding knives, flashlights, pistol magazines (seam-adjustable)
  • Two mesh thigh cargo pockets with YKK reverse zipper for documents and small personal belongings
  • Elastic bands in cargo pockets for spare magazines, first aid equipment or other small essentials
  • Two Velcro flapped thigh pockets for smartphone device or AR magazines
  • Classic jeans 'neck' shape limits falling the trousers down
  • Pleated knees for increased freedom of movement
  • Reinforced knees with internal knee pad compartments
  • Cuffs with cord channels
  • Material: 4-way elastic 93% Nylon / 7% Spandex with DuPont Teflon coating
  • European Patent No. 002638791-0001
£74.40

Helikon Outdoor Tactical Pants. Available in a range of colours, Medium waist for 33-34" and come in a Long Leg for 34" leg. Stretch nylon, dry well, are going to be warm for use in a warm climate, but great for temperate autumn, winter, spring and damp summers. I did wear them in the jungle and they worked there, but would have been too hot in the tropics outside the forest.

They are not baggy.

I love the pocket layout and have these in their poly cotton, denim and shorts versions.

Chris

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
FR uses their G1000 fabric as far as I know...but IIRC they have some waterproof kit as well.

To each, his own, off course, but the stretch...not getting in my wardrobe again...

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I use M&S Chinos. Loose fit.
First I use them at work, then when they go manky I finish them off in nature. So basically they cost nothing!

They do everything I need them to do!

I see no point of getting any 'special' trousers now when my old trusty m/59F trousers do not fit.

I have developed a huge single muscle on my stomach, like a 'one pack'.

For short walks and when in the village, I use a couple trousers, semi stretchy. Norwegian brands.

They look nice, but the stretchiness would irritate me if I had to use them when bushcrafting.

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Yes, it is strange. The more my right arm exercises by lifting heavy beers and food, the more the muscle grows!

Do you have those Norwegian brand trousers in Sweden too?

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
Thinking about Fjällräven vidda pro pants. My mate has worn them for years and is very happy with them. Both of us have this "single stomach muscle" syndrome too:D

Reactions: Janne

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
One pack. I don't have one of those but I have a six pack with a party keg in front that one day might become a full barrel if I'm not careful but could easily disappear if I can be bothered to put the effort in.

Little tip, cycle touring on a recumbent with a heavy load actually works the core well. It's the pushing it up the hill that does it. Lost a few love handles in a few weeks. Working on the front party keg next!

If I'm not careful I'll be a 32" waist again. Which would mean a belt or new trousers.

BTW anyone own one of those fr canvas belts? They're rather long I thought. Then again I got a lifesystems money belt which in my slimmer days went at least 1.5x round my waist if not more. Never understood why. You'd have to have a 50" waist if not more for it to be too small.

Stretch with slim fitting trousers suits me. A good pair of stretch trousers is great for walking and climbing / scrambling. Without causing them to rise up leaving a cold gap at your ankles. A slimmer leg means no flapping in strong winds and less to catch in undergrowth. It's just a preference for the outdoors I go into

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Can you get Prana clothes in the UK? I have a couple of pairs. Good for hiking, climbing and all other monkey business. Bit stretchy and they have lasted a few years for me ... including time bouldering in the gym too .. so good on abrasion. Cheap too. Look at MEC

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have a Fjallraven canvas belt, older version, different stamped pattern. They come long, you just cut them shorter to the length you need. Cut from the buckle end, there is an adjustment, cam action gripper in the buckle. I really like the belt. It is starting to get a little chewed up where the buckle teeth always grip it, but I have had it over three years and it has seen quite a lot of use. Not just for trips and camping, but every day too. Compared to the alternatives that I have seen (leather, nylon with side release buckles, tactical rigger belts) I really like it and would recommend it. I think mine is the 4cm version.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE