Tropical Island?

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Well, like most of you probably have Im contemplating planning a trip to a tropical island of some kind to test my skills and learn some new ones. So have any of you thought about it or even done it?

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
work in indonesia, many tropical islands. stay on them frequently, they are actually often quite sparse in terms of edible plants but theres obviously plenty of sea food! ;)

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
Oh man, oh man, oh man. If anything is a childhood dream.
One thing I could never understand about Robinson Crusoe was why he ever wanted to be rescued...

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
Awesome trekkingnut. So what are the chances of someone like me being able to do something like that? :)

with the right planning and preparation you can in theory do anything!

however, most people starve to death in the jungle.... everyone claims its infinitely more abundant than everywhere else on earth etc but the truth is that actually finding enough food to sustain yourself is very difficult. Especially in terms of carbohydrates. You never see a native with a pot belly eh!

give it a go! why not?!!?!? but make sure you have an adequate and properly prepared exist strategy!

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I remember a guy from Wales did this back in the 90's, he had always had the dream to live on a desert island and finding his life in a bit of a rut he started investigating how. He was sponsored by the Daily Mirror if I remember, he and one of his kids each had to write a book and I daresay the paper profited from both. He was in the South Pacific around one of the atolls, islands were populated nearby but he and his family were on a deserted island. In the end he was injured pretty badly and his wife and kids paddled across to one of the populated islands to get medical attention. Not that great a book to be honest but an interesting journey nonetheless.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
I'm seriously thinking of planning a trip now. :) I was thinking the phillipenes but Indonesia is also an option I never thought of. Hmmm

in terms of an exist strategy, philipinos are generally more likely to speak english..... just a thought! exit strategy really is the most important thing! its not like wales where you can guarentee there to be a phone within walking distance (eventually)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE