Trip To The Woods

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Enjoyed another great day out in the woods today, had my old mucker Hugo along, Rockmonkey was supposed to be with us, but he has caught the dreaded lurgi, so we didn't let him come out to play.:rolleyes:

We decided another long bimble was in order, we followed more or less the same route as we took last Friday as it's a nice walk through the countryside, with a few bits that draw a sweat and make you puff a bit, still a nice walk though

So to the pics then, anyone for a steak?, lots of Sussex Reds around here these days, nice to see these breeds making a comeback at last.

DSCN5349.jpg

DSCN5350.jpg

we stopped on the way up the hill for a brew after which we headed up slope and found a nice spot to stop for a bit of lunch in the trees,

DSCN5354.jpg

i set my sit hammock up, whilst Hugo used his new and very flashy Canvas covered sit mat

DSCN5360.jpg

the woods

DSCN5362.jpg

DSCN5366.jpg

I figured it was about time i had some Erbswurst that a friend of mine in Germany sent over a few weeks back, it's dehydrated Pea & Ham soup, originally developed for the Franco/Prussian war, and no, this stuff is not that old.

DSCN5368.jpg

So i boiled up some water, put a block of the Erbswurst in the bowl and added hot water, but then i realised i had forgotten my spork, so i no choice but to carve some chop sticks

DSCN5376.jpg

as you can imagine using chop sticks to eat soup with is not easy, so thank gawd i know how to carve spoons - phew, was a close call, i can tell you

DSCN5374.jpg

The Erbswurst is pretty tasty, albeit a little too salty for my personal tastes, but it does have a nice smoky bacon flavour and when added to other things, will make a fine base for a meal i think.

Now speaking of spoons, we did of course have to do some carving to keep those skills alive, don't want to be getting rusty do we?

Hugo's

DSCN5383.jpg

and mine, i only carved the one spoon blank as i was concentrating on getting my chop sticks nicely balanced

DSCN5388.jpg

Hugo's new knife, his Big Whittler, like a razor blade this thing

DSCN5385.jpg

after lunch we headed back up trail a bit and along the top of the Downs

DSCN5392.jpg

Past the Ewe's and their Lambs, just as well RockMonkey wasn't with us, he gets a bit excited when he sees the ladies;)

DSCN5393.jpg

DSCN5395.jpg

quick look south

DSCN5396.jpg

Cissbury Ring Iron Age Fort & Neolithic Flint Mines in the distance

DSCN5397.jpg

Over the downs

DSCN5398.jpg

Looking out to Sea

DSCN5400.jpg

Back into the woods and past some Early Purple Orchids, lovely to see and there seems to be a lot more than normal this year

DSCN5401.jpg

the site of needless destruction by Mountain Bikers making unauthorised jumps and banks, why cut a tree down, take one section out and leave a 3ft stump and the rest of the tree hanging in mid air? - senseless vandalism

DSCN5406.jpg

DSCN5407.jpg

coming back now via one of our carving spots, btw RockM, the wood pile is exactly as we left it.

DSCN5409.jpg

then we headed up top the area fondly known as 32C, where we find this burly Field Maple

DSCN5413.jpg

Heading towards our spot at 32C

DSCN5415.jpg

where we find Rockmonkey's seat is all overgrown due to lack of use:rolleyes:

DSCN5418.jpg

we had another good brew up here, before we finally headed up and out and back towards the cars, taking in some spectacular scenery on the way.

DSCN5421.jpg

DSCN5424.jpg

another superb day with superb company, just need to get the third member of the group over his lurgi and back out into the fresh air.

Last edited:

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I enjoyed today Kepis mate, well worth the puffing and panting up the hill.
Thanks for the new lightweight stove, I'll put it through it's passes soon.
Rockmonkey, you missed out again mate, good weather and good company, plus loads of laughs.

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Another great day out by the look of it, Cough, splutter!:sadwavey::sigh:
Feel even worse today, which is nice!:stretcher:
Can't believe how overgrown my bench has become, will have to do some house work next time we are there! (hopefully next week):)
Feels like i a distant memory how a rucksack feels, with fresh air in my lungs, and the best company a bushcrafter can ask for!
You chose a great day for it as always.
Soon, Very soon my friends!

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
Looks like a grand day out, and great pics too! ta for sharing :)

What type of blade is your big whittler Hugo? Is it a D.I.Y. knife - looks great

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I enjoyed today Kepis mate, well worth the puffing and panting up the hill.
Thanks for the new lightweight stove, I'll put it through it's passes soon.
Rockmonkey, you missed out again mate, good weather and good company, plus loads of laughs.

aye were a cracking day out again, you should see the size of my left knee now though:(, might have to strap that up i think

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Another great day out by the look of it, Cough, splutter!:sadwavey::sigh:
Feel even worse today, which is nice!:stretcher:
Can't believe how overgrown my bench has become, will have to do some house work next time we are there! (hopefully next week):)
Feels like i a distant memory how a rucksack feels, with fresh air in my lungs, and the best company a bushcrafter can ask for!
You chose a great day for it as always.
Soon, Very soon my friends!

you missed a great day, now go get yourself well and you can come play again:lmao:, your right though, your bench is in a sorry state, needs some work doing to it, we left you some pressies on it as well by the way:rolleyes:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
@Vizla, Kodiakjoe & Dannytsg - thanks for the comments, if you ever get to this part of the world, give us a shout as you are more than welcome to join us on a bimble

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Another pleasent mental trip for me
thnaks for sharing Kepis yet again i'm a little jealous
ps is that erbwurst similar to the dehydrated pea soup Kephart mentions do you think? be interested to see if i can source some in the UK

No prob Sam , glad we can add some mental woods time for you, the Erbswurst is the same stuff as mentioned by Kephart, you might also want to search for "Portable Soup" as i learned just this morning thats what the Royal Navy used to call it way back in the Napoleonic wars

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE