Tried my hand at a spoon!

Saul Gilsenan

May 11, 2013
Stoke-on-Trent
I've had an interest in spoon making for a while and I finally sat down and tried to make one! I don't think it's too bad for my first attempt really. I made it out of an old piece of Ash, so it wasn't particularly green which made it a bit of a bugger at times but I got there. Once I'd carved it down smooth enough I sanded it up and oiled it with Walnut Oil. What do you guys think?

wgrfiu.jpg

2zisk1d.jpg

2r59rno.jpg

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Great for a first go, and looks like a user too - just the right size..........well done, Saul........................atb mac

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Nice first effort; good proportions and it looks symmetrical.

Try a bit of seasoned oak; THAT is great fun.

On to the next one!

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Very great! My first one looks like a stick covered in laquer. Which it is. I still have it. I advise you to keep yours too. So much fun to look back to see your improvement.:)

Lyope

Tenderfoot
Sep 6, 2012
London
www.lyope.com
Considerably better than the first time I ever made a spoon, that's for sure!

Given how well that turned out, I bet you're going to just *love* how it feels when you get to carving some lovely fresh green wood. My current favourite is Lime - it's like sliding your knife through butter sometimes...

Saul Gilsenan

May 11, 2013
Stoke-on-Trent
Cheers for all the replies, really kind words from all of you. :D

I went out and got some green Oak today but crikey it's still quite hard!

I'll have to give Lime a try but I'll need to work on my tree identification first :) Can't wait to try some different kinds of wood, I'm hooked!

Lyope

Tenderfoot
Sep 6, 2012
London
www.lyope.com
Oak's 'orrible for carving. Which is a shame because there's loads of the stuff round here.

See if you can get some green fruit wood, too. Carving cherry is easier than you might think when it's nice and fresh, but when it dries out it looks fantastic.

Leiflet

Nomad
Jun 5, 2013
Devon
Now that's what I call a spoon. Hm, how about using the oak for a mustard spoon so it's over before it gets boring?

Cheers,
Leif

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Congrats on your first spoon, damn mighty fine first attempt!
May you have as much fun using it as you did making it!
Well done, feels good doesn't it!

RM

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE